• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Latino

Charlotte Thompson

Last night a Latino friend of mine came by for a visit and I thought wow still another opportunity to catch a great guy- These were taken around midnight, dark patio on a couch in the back without any light to speak of-He was having conversation with another guy so I shot a small series of what I think captures that Latin spirit- I did have the flash of course sb 600 speed light

DSC_1131-1.jpg

DSC_1117-1.jpg

DSC_1121.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

A very interesting subject and I can't stress too much how pleased I am to see you chosing new and commanding characters. This is an important to go forward.

I'm flummoxed, BTW, as to the title, Latino! What one earth is there that connects your photographs with that title, "Latino" and anyway, why would I be interested in the ethnicity? Is it that Latino's smoke in that particular way, or just typically smoke, have scared skin or have gaps in their front upper teeth?

I think that using the term African American, Latino and so on might be better connected with real worlds distinctive to that experience.

To me, at least, you have presented 4 interested photographs of a man enjoying a cigar. He's approx 35-45 and seems to have some satisfaction with his life at that time. It seems that smoking might distract one from the harsher matters of life, a ritual that give a small place to withdraw to in the moments of lighting up and trimming the cigar.

I'd love to see these interesting photographs with the highlights recovered.

Are they blown or did you do this for some effect? The anatomy of the skin shows more of the man, are you not going to render this physicality? It would be a pity not to!

You have Capture NX but what's the camera and what were the circumstance of taking the image. Can we have an introduction?

Again, I like the direction you are taking. And yes this guy is a challenge, but there's more there!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

you always ask interesting questions- I titled Latino because he is Latino I thought it a fitting title because of the -trying to capture the ethnicity of that particular spirit for me it was important
he has a small construction comapany and works outside in the elements most of the time-as it shows on his face-I think I found that in these shots I really would love at some point to follow him around and shoot him while he is working because he is extremely graceful as he is tall and fit- and 40 years old- I use a Nikon d40 micro nikkor 105mm with the sb 600 speed light- as I said I took these around midnight on an almost dark patio deep in the back sitting on a couch- the NX is very new so I am still learning about how to use it- the original shots while even with the equiptment I am using was dark so I light them up a bit with contrast-
again, this is about catching a spirit and I love the latino in this spirit- but thats my way of how I try to go in a direction-you must always remember I am entirely new to photography as I have only been shooting for 6 or 7 months and I am loving the art! and learning what path I want to follow and it's been so wonderful to go in all kinds of ways and exploring what and who I am with this new art-
always you have my appreciation!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
and learning what path I want to follow and it's been so wonderful to go in all kinds of ways and exploring what and who I am with this new art-
always you have my appreciation!
Charlotte-
Hi Charlotte,

Photographing this hard working gentleman is such an important part of your pathway. In doing so, let's look at his face and get the physicality right. Your pictures above are a satisfactory and sufficiently intriguing introduction to this process. So I personally will follow with great focus your upcoming shots. Might I suggest getting this repeated with him sitting down and doing the same, lighting his favorite cigar. Get this one with his eyes in sharp focus. Look at the histogram on the back of your camera to see you that the ends of the curve come down to the base line. Otherwise the setting on the camera aren't right.
If there is a problem with that let us know.

The richness of the portrait depends on the rendering of the subject matter. You can control the light your position and his posture. That's already a lot of work. However, it will pay off. So I'd encourage you to return to him ASAP and do more.

Thanks fro sharing!

Asher

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

I do indeed and will certainly do this again and capture something better- I see him on occasion and next time I will get it right- or at least a better finding of his soul- I have known him for a long time we are very good friends-he used to be a heavy metal guitar player in a band and was a back up band to Prince a long time ago- he has many facets- thanks and if I have questions you know I will ask!

Charlotte-