• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An extraordinary resource

Doug Kerr

I continue to be amazed at the way in which every day, more and more important work and issues appear in OPF. The range of techniques, outlooks, and accomplishments of the participants is just stunning.

Asher, you, in having decided to earnestly "preside over salon", have without a doubt been a great stimulus to this.

I find more and more of the participants willing to devote considerable effort in expressing suggestions as to how the work could be further improved, or take a different route. And I find that the "contributors" seem to continually advance in the maturity of how they accept the evaluations, suggestions, and recommendations of their colleagues. Thus improves not only the bread but the oven as well. We hone art and craft, and we hone the craft of criticism - at both ends of the process.

I think all here should be proud of this extraordinary resource.

In private correspondence, I have earlier described, as a metaphor for the process here, the remarkable fact (drawn upon for many years by telescope makers) that two glass blocks, rubbed on each other (in a certain way of course), with abrasive compound between, do not force one another into characterless flatness, but instead grow into perfect portions of spheres - one concave and one convex.

In a neat corollary, one discussion of the process says (and I paraphrase), "And it can even be done in the house, perhaps in a spare bedroom, assuming that your spouse can put up with the noise it creates, especially in the early stages."

So grind on, gang, and don't let your artistic hearts shudder at the notion of a perfect sphere.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hooooooh Doug!

You couldn't please more Asher, Cem and I!

Yes, contribution are getting better, let's hope it's gonna be even better in the near future…

BTW, please stop that grind / gang, my acouphens don't like that at all! LoL! ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hooooooh Doug!

You couldn't please more Asher, Cem and I!

Yes, contribution are getting better, let's hope it's gonna be even better in the near future…

BTW, please stop that grind / gang, my acouphens don't like that at all! LoL! ;-)

Yes,

We're happy at our growth in quality, albeit slowly. We don't teach; we explain, disclose and share! It's a lot of investment. We happen to care a lot about composition, meaning, form free of that, colors, esthetics, tonalities, prints. More than this we are concerned with what happens to each of the folk here and the rest of the planet over which we claim dominion. No one is taken for granted, but also no one gets a free ride or empty praise.

Each day I personally learn a lot and am thrilled to see new work and self-challenge in "Riskit!", the focussed topics in "Themes" and the fundamental and probing photography discussions in "Still Photo".

Kudos to you all!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

I continue to be amazed at the way in which every day, more and more important work and issues appear in OPF. The range of techniques, outlooks, and accomplishments of the participants is just stunning...
I am very pleased to read this since I am not very objective when it comes to OPF as you can imagine. It is great to have any kind of feedback but it is even better when it is positive.

..Asher, you, in having decided to earnestly "preside over salon", have without a doubt been a great stimulus to this.
Asher is certainly the critical success factor of OPF. I have been in disagreement with him in the past over certain policy issues but in most cases he has managed to convince me through his mentorship, wisdom and perseverence. Asher is someone who does not lose his patience and remains calm. Most importantly, he remains true to himself, to his friends and of course to OPF. But let's not forget, all these virtues apply equally to Nicolas who has built OPF from scratch together with Asher.

...I find more and more of the participants willing to devote considerable effort in expressing suggestions as to how the work could be further improved, or take a different route. And I find that the "contributors" seem to continually advance in the maturity of how they accept the evaluations, suggestions, and recommendations of their colleagues. Thus improves not only the bread but the oven as well. We hone art and craft, and we hone the craft of criticism - at both ends of the process.
Again, I agree fully. As long as we grow and learn from each other. Personally, I have become a much better photographer than I was ever before, thanks to OPF. The road ahead is long and my journey continues. But I am enjoying the scenery a lot, along the way.

...I think all here should be proud of this extraordinary resource.

In private correspondence, I have earlier described, as a metaphor for the process here, the remarkable fact (drawn upon for many years by telescope makers) that two glass blocks, rubbed on each other (in a certain way of course), with abrasive compound between, do not force one another into characterless flatness, but instead grow into perfect portions of spheres - one concave and one convex.
So grind on, gang, and don't let your artistic hearts shudder at the notion of a perfect sphere.
Well said, grind on indeed! :)

Last but not least, I would like to thank you Doug and all the other contributors for everything you have been doing. OPF would not be OPF, even with Asher & Nicolas at the helm, without your contributions.

Cheers,

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Last but not least, I would like to thank you Doug and all the other contributors for everything you have been doing. OPF would not be OPF, even with Asher & Nicolas at the helm, without your contributions.

Your own contribution has been, and continues to be, equally pivotal.

Best regards,

Doug