• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Trying to grab some pics during working hours

Mike Shimwell

I liked the contrast of the lamp and leaves here as I walked back to the office yesterday lunchtime.

C&C welcome as always.

GX100 in raw

Mike

3027463853_9756cdd9a4_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mike,

Yes this is an excellent pair of subjects. These must speak to you in the strongest way to make a picture that can get and maintain interest.

What do I like? The simple, certain form of the round lamp with the side arms echoes the free, fractal branching shape of the tree.

However, we don't see enough of that tree! Also, the intrusion of the building on the left border distracts from the simple composition.

Here's an idea, dropping closer to the ground and shooting up through to the sky, would distinguish and focus all attention on the tree branches and the lamp.

Thanks for sharing!

asher

Last edited:

Mike Shimwell

Asher, thanks. I wanted the blue reflection from the building windows to set against the warm colours of the leaves and to darken the backgound, but you're right the elemental square patetrn distracts from my subject. The building on th eleft is an interloper... The leaves have now gone so I will not need to kneel in the puddle this year.

Jim

Thanks for your noticing the contrast of warm and cold.

Mike

fahim mohammed

Hi Mike,

I always struggle with the bright sky in situations such as these. You have a lovely composition here. I would go in leaving out the sky and adding contrast for the leaves and lamp to shine thru against the
blue of the building.

best.