• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pastel Sunrise

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

Another coastal shot frommy recent trip to Ibiza. More to follow...

3009177984_0c4d7bd934.jpg

A bigger version can be viewed HERE

Read about this shot and others at my photoblog:

Imagespike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Matt,

I find your work most enjoyable. This one is no exception. The extent of my critique is stimulated by the impact of your picture on my own creative impulses. I read your blog and learned how you are land-locked in Cheltenham and so finally getting the rocks, foam and water with the sky working for you is a well-deserved reward.

My critcisms are not for required changes, just ideas you might consider.

Composition-wise, I'd have made more use of the very physicality of the rocks. That's where the argument is occurring. There's not enough as one would want in the sky to justify not dedicating more of the picture's real estate to the fight between the dashing energetic waves and the rocks that don't want to budge and will be shaped and altered anyway by the unrelenting thundering waters. The sky, simply cannot compete with this formidable pair, the water and rocks, locked in combat. Well let's forget all that, since that's not what inspired you. That's only what inspires me looking at your picture.

I must say I would prefer to see a landscape format and grab more of this view, but them I'm greedy for sensation and experience. You have been successful in preserving and then rendering the high tonalities in the rushing waves crashing over the rocks. At the same time, I'd like to see some work on the water, using an S curve, perhaps, to bring out the play of the light on the cold dark waters.

I know you did 40 layers on the pinched face you showed. What did you do to get this seascape prepared?

Thanks for sharing

Matt Halstead

Hi Asher,

Thanks for the detailed response! I have to agree entirely, idealy their would have been more foreground detail but sadly the rocks were lost at the hands of the water (you can just see them poking out of the mist!)

I do have a very nice landscape shot which I'll be posting in due course!

Re: post processing, very little was done to this shot aside from levels correction and slight saturation boost......

Many thanks,