• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Buddy Kent in Alaska

Jaime Johnson

Kent-03.jpg

I don't know what you mean by a real answer too. I was just "quipping" based on my limited knowledge of these bears and how the little I have seen or heard about them always talked about how dangerous they can be and how you should give them plenty of room. This guy already looks way too close to me, even if it is just a cub, and he's still walking towards it. To me it just looks like a terible chance was taken just for the sake of getting this shot but hey, that's ok as long as it's someone other than me. Then again, he may be a lot farther away than the photo makes it look.
James

Jaime Johnson

The bear is an adult sow grizzly. I was actually closer than him. My buddy was walking towards us and all of the sudden this grizz approached us and got between us. Then just wandered off to the left.

This guy is actually an expert. He lives with the bears in a tent for several months every year (since the early 90's). He is actually further than he looks, but in Katmai the bears do get close.

The bears really don't pay you any mind up there (this time of year), they are really well fed by the fish and ignore people all together. If this situation was here in Montana, I'd be scared to death. We see lots of Grizz here in Montana - but we always keep a distance. Bears here are much more crabby.

In Alaska, we always tried to stay at the recommended distance, but occassionally a grizz will approach us and we just have to ride it out (no where to go and no guns or bear spray). We are over a hundred miles from the nearest town (flown in). I lived on a boat.

I am glad I have other people like you guys to get these great pictures of wildlife that I otherwise would never get to see. As I said, my only real knowledge is just that which is gained through Animal Planet shows and magazines. I do remember another person however that also lived with grizzlies for many years, getting up close and personal, and getting to know them intimately. That is, until they ate him. I just can't see myself getting near a situation like that but I am sure that thrill is a driving factor for some. Wonderful picture.
James