• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Great Egret at rest.

Chris Cooke

Captured at the Edithvale Wetlands Melbourne Australia.

EXIF data intact any critique gratefully received.

AO9A0285800x600.jpg

AO9A0282800x600.jpg

Chris Cooke

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the post and pictures. Since you requested critique, please accept these comments as hopefully constructive!

Cutting off the legs of the egret in both shots is bothersome to me. In general (there are always exceptions) you don't want body parts clipped off in the image.

Also, central placement of the subject usually gives (not always) a more "static" feel, while off-center ("rule of thirds") a more "dynamic" feel. Having the egret more to the right of the frame, giving him space to "look" into the rest of the frame, is often more pleasing.

If possible (and I realize that circumstances often prevent this), get down at eye-level to your subject, rather than shooting from above (or below).

Exposure is reasonably close, but the whites need to be brighter - you should be able to adjust these with curves and/or levels in Photoshop (or other editor).

Sharpness in the beak and eye in the first shot look quite good. This is typically a crucial factor in making or breaking an image.

Lastly, the 2nd shot doesn't do much for me - to my eye it's a jumble of body parts and feathers. The 1st shot appeals to me much more. But this is more of a subjective judgment, which will vary from person to person.

I hope this is helpful to you - keep on shooting and posting!