• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Art in the Louvre

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
We were in France for a couple weeks - a few days in the Loire Valley and a week in Almost Paris....a long story, but, we went into the city each day. Our first day we went to the Louvre to visit. We saw the famous and not so famous and our iPod tour was out of date so we missed a few exhibits. A good excuse to go back sometime. In my attempt to see the important works, I was also looking for the unusual among my snapshots. This one is just for Asher. He'd have these girls very distracted from their art - they'd be sujbects so this is what I think Asher would shoot at the Louvre. Notice the shopping bag they used to bring their sketchbooks.

431716394_bpdXx-M.jpg

Copyright - 2008 - Kathy Rappaport - all rights reserved

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We were in France for a couple weeks - a few days in the Loire Valley and a week in Almost Paris....a long story, but, we went into the city each day. Our first day we went to the Louvre to visit. We saw the famous and not so famous and our iPod tour was out of date so we missed a few exhibits. A good excuse to go back sometime. In my attempt to see the important works, I was also looking for the unusual among my snapshots. This one is just for Asher. He'd have these girls very distracted from their art - they'd be sujbects so this is what I think Asher would shoot at the Louvre. Notice the shopping bag they used to bring their sketchbooks.

431716394_bpdXx-M.jpg

This dear Kathy is why heaven made us the Nikon 700D and the 50 1.2. Imagine if one could really see them with such a combination. The 5D just doesn't make these shots so well, unless one is going to go for blur or B&W!

Asher

BTW, what did you use, the image is stripped of the Exif and has no © :)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Limited weight

Actually this was with the 5d and the Tamron 28-300 3.5vr at 28mm 160ss at 3.5 at 800 iso.
I had the 50 1.2 with me but the others with me were not photographers and as it was I kept them waiting too many times in one day all ready. I love the window light in this and maybe it does need a tighter crop and I ran it though Nik Color Efx. Now it needs Noise Ninja.

431748787_qRpFm-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

Yes, Kathy,

The window light creates a look Rembrandt might have liked (so much that maybe he'd even have crouched on the floor like a "meshuganna")!

I would have loved to have been with you and the rest of the group could have gone on. My mind just shifted to thinking about having a 5D with better ability to see such beautiful sights and a focus lock that works in such a scene. One word kept coming to mind and it was "Nikon!" for that, I'd settle for the D700!

I do like the lighting of your picture and the fact that you took this without disturbing them! Excellent respect and manners!

Asher

As with Asher, they may very well have been my subjects as well Kathy. I am a great admirer of the beauty of young women. I wish I could have been there then we would know for sure what a Nikon D3 and 50mm would have done with the conditions. I do like what you did with them however, that's for sure. What are the rules in there as far as photography is concerned? Perhaps someday I will make it there.
James Newman

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
No flash but

There were signs that said no flash, I think. But I saw the little digicams and cell phones flashing. I would even if allowed never use flash with works of art.

Last edited:
Actually this was with the 5d and the Tamron 28-300 3.5vr at 28mm 160ss at 3.5 at 800 iso.
I had the 50 1.2 with me but the others with me were not photographers and as it was I kept them waiting too many times in one day all ready. I love the window light in this and maybe it does need a tighter crop and I ran it though Nik Color Efx. Now it needs Noise Ninja.

431748787_qRpFm-M.jpg

Hi Kathy,

This is a really nice shot. The exposure looks good but the shadows appear somewhat blocked on my monitor. I am not persuaded by Asher's comments that the 5D is incapable of doing full justice to this shot. The shadows could be opened slightly and the highlights tamed a bit. Are you shooting raw, and if so, did you open the shadows in something like Lightroom? If that is not possible, you could use the shadows and highlight tool in PS. I am not suggesting a major boost, as then you might lose the quality of the window light.

Could you post an update?

-Nat

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
A quickie for Asher

I ran that B&W Version as an homage to Asher. I really like the color version, personally. I will try to play with the B&W later ....I have some paid work to deliver....paid is always good!

Cem_Usakligil

... I love the window light in this and maybe it does need a tighter crop and I ran it though Nik Color Efx. Now it needs Noise Ninja...
Hi Kathy,

Glad to see the first of your Paris pictures :). How was Louvre, did you enjoy it?
Anyway, I guess you also know this but you should apply noise reduction as the first step in your workflow before applying any filters such as Niik Color Efx.

...The exposure looks good but the shadows appear somewhat blocked on my monitor. I am not persuaded by Asher's comments that the 5D is incapable of doing full justice to this shot. The shadows could be opened slightly and the highlights tamed a bit. Are you shooting raw, and if so, did you open the shadows in something like Lightroom? If that is not possible, you could use the shadows and highlight tool in PS. I am not suggesting a major boost, as then you might lose the quality of the window light.

Could you post an update?
I agree with Nat. I used to have a 5D and it is a camera which cannot be pushed away that easily unless one is shooting sports or wildlife but even then, it is formidable if used properly.

I ran that B&W Version as an homage to Asher. I really like the color version, personally. I will try to play with the B&W later ....I have some paid work to deliver....paid is always good!
Since you are busy, I took the liberty of demonstrating what can be achieved by some PP. I had nothing more than the small compressed jpg but even then the results are quite promising. With the raw, you should be able to totally transform this image.

First the color version:

Original as posted by Kathy:
431716394_bpdXx-M.jpg

Cem's PP version:
kr_louvre.jpg

And then the B&W:

Original as posted by Kathy:
431748787_qRpFm-M.jpg

Cem's PP version:
kr_louvre_bw.jpg

Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Cem!

Thanks for playing...I have a bunch of stuff from Paris...but...it will have to wait. Year end is here and so is some paid work. I love that image.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

This dear Kathy is why heaven made us the Nikon 700D and the 50 1.2. Imagine if one could really see them with such a combination. The 5D just doesn't make these shots so well, unless one is going to go for blur or B&W!
Would you mention what characteristics of those two cameras are pivotal there?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi Doug,

The 5D is a wonderful camera with which one can do so much creative work and no doubt almost any professional shoot, except perhaps, sports. It, however, has been purposely fitted with a focus system that is not often cannot focus lock in dim light. This is not such an issue the 1DsII, 1DII and the 1DsIII of Canon and the D3 or D700 of Nikon.

Nikon chose to provide essentially all the electronic advantages of the sensor and focus of the (most of) 2008 D3 in the bargain priced less, lighter and less "professionally clad", D700 DSLR. Also Nikon's sensor and noise control is so advanced that even ISO 6400 is very usable. So with the combination of being able to use a higher ISO and a better focus system, Nikon is the king of the jungle in the midrange of full frame DSLR's. This is the camera, then for shooting in low light situations without flash.

I'm still very happy with my 5D, but unfortunately, Canon has not seen fit to upgrade the 5D mark II with the focus system of the 1Ds series, even that of the 1D MarkII. That, I believe is unfortunate. I don't need to upgrade for more pixels, I can always use film for that. What I would like is the best AF system. Marketing at Canon thinks Megapixels!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
5d

The 5 D is still (in combination with the 50 1.2) one of the best low light capable cameras. It is usually the choice of cameras for Wedding and Event Photographers. I love this camera and have taken a number of images in dark places, handheld, without flash. Even with the new 5dMk2 high ISO capability, I will still shoot with this 2 year old camera. This was taken with my travel lens - the Tamron 28-300 3.5VR lens. Still quite good considering that the only light in the room was the streaming window light. I don't know where the Nikon part came from. I sold one about 7 years ago to start a collection of Canon gear and with the lens collection I have, doubtful that I will make the change back to Nikon now.

Asher Kelman

Kathy Rappaport said:
This one is just for Asher. He'd have these girls very distracted from their art - they'd be sujbects so this is what I think Asher would shoot at the Louvre. Notice the shopping bag they used to bring their sketchbooks.

This one picture, just as it is, as it is, has grown on me and I keep returning to it's "Rembrandt" delicate lighting and so gentle, remarkable and undisturbed mood. The detail of the shopping bags to the right, makes this image more and more important to me as a contemporary memorable and worthy photograph, in its own right.

431716394_bpdXx-M.jpg

Copyright - 2008 - Kathy Rappaport - all rights reserved[/QUOTE]

Asher

BTW, I noted you changed your signature! Hmm!

ChatKat said:
Advocate for politics free discussion on Photography Message Boards unless they concern Nikon vs Canon, Film vs Digital and LF and MF, to print or not to print and color correction for dummies.

Yes, Kathy, your advocacy is agreeable, but IMHO, we need to be worldly too.

So, right now, it's good to give vent that Canon could just have easily been more generous! The competition between the camera giants decides our choice, price points and each cameras features. The MFRS take note and the feedback from multiple websites does add up and then Canon, like Nikon might wake up.

"Who owns which camera", is not really important, as you imply. However, the differences today are remarkable and worth underlining. I still, love my Canon 5D and the 50 1.2 lens and some of my best photographs have been made handheld in natural light with this combo. The colors are amongst the most beautiful from any camera and you are correct about how good it is for pros! Still, we expect more at least in the focus system. Then now, I've said my piece and back to your wonderfully lit Louvre portrait of the girls' sketching! :)

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Cedric

Cedric,

I sent you a private message.

Asher,

You are too funny. I changed my signature during the election overload. I will have to change it again soon.

Thank you all for your comments.

Cem_Usakligil

Oh yes... it was the famous WE in Paris... never received any news from anyone after being contacted... "dommage" !
Hi Cedric,

Since I could not make it to Paris due personal reasons, Kathy and I have decided to cancel our OPF WE in Paris. I am sorry that I have forgotten to keep you in the loop, please accept my sincere apologies.

Hi Cedric,

Since I could not make it to Paris due personal reasons, Kathy and I have decided to cancel our OPF WE in Paris. I am sorry that I have forgotten to keep you in the loop, please accept my sincere apologies.

Hi,

Ok, it doesn't matter. I didn't resist to make parisian bad spirit ;)
Hope to see you in Paris a next time.

Cedric.