• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Monument Valley

Steve Robinson

I made a trip to Monument Valley at the beginning of November and brought back a couple of images. The weather was not cooperative as a cold front was moving in from the west and it was very windy with a lot of blowing dust in the air. These are my two favorites and I worked awhile on the curves and B&W conversion.

The Mittens with Rocks. Pentax K20D, DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, 28mm, 1/125 @ f/8, ISO 100.
435881092_3jGqp-O.jpg

B&W conversion. Ansel Adams stood nearby when he took his image in the 1930's.
435881086_VArHB-O.jpg

Agathla Peak is just off US163 south of Monument Valley. Pentax K20D, DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, 45mm, 1/500 @ f/8, ISO 100.
435881076_MvSBA-O.jpg

B&W conversion. This peak is 7100 ft ASL and approximately 1600 ft AGL.
435881079_zftxD-O.jpg

As always, C&C is welcome. Thanks for looking.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Steve,

These two photographs of the monumental rock formations carved by wind and harsh weather over millennia are remarkable in shape, form and color. The clouds, (blue in the first and pink in the second color image) make a soft covering with a great deal of nuanced detail.

All this physicality is enhanced with the color removed. However, to me at least, these B&W pictures are still not exploiting all of the potential for reassigning colors to tonal ranges and using variable local microcontrast to bring out texture.

This process of transforming an impressive color image to B&W is not straightforward and is more work than a lot of us might think. However, the payoff for the extra study of the picture is great. An optimally rendered B&W of such rocks and clouds will be wonderful.

A simple window on what is possible is an S curves layer to lighten the B&W version.

Asher

Steve Robinson

Thanks Asher. I wasn't sure about what values to assign to the B&W version. I did the PP on the B&W separately from the original color image. I'll go back and revisit the B&W versions.

Steve Robinson

I looked at the B&W's again and realized I had gone more for extra drama than for matching color tones.

Mittens with Rocks.
436028108_AinRx-O.jpg

Agathla Peak.
436028102_gVE9i-O.jpg