• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bobcat today.

Jaime Johnson

Canon 1D Mark III / Canon 500mm F4

122108-Bobcat-02y.jpg

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Re: Need help

A beautiful shot of beautiful cat.

Now if I could find a tame one that would get along with my Shih-Tzu pup's!

Andy brown

Yeah, Beautiful shot.
I found myself staring right into it's eyes trying to decipher its mood, which I couldn't other than thinking it was locked on your lens and thinking wow, that things got a big eye.

I like the way the trunks in the b/g are almost the identical colour to the moggie's eyes.

Jaime Johnson

It was really interesting, I believe it was a young cat (last springs). It was about 30 feet away. I took several pictures of it on the ground, and then walked closer. I ended up 5 feet away. I actually had to back up so my 500mm could focus (15 feet)! I took approx. 200 images and eventually left the cat still sitting there!

I see a considerable amount of cats (at least from my perspective). In the last 14 months, I've seen 2 cougars, 2 lynx and 3 bobcats! Every once in a while... one will sit there and let me take pictures!

122108-Bobcat-05y.jpg

122108-Bobcat-01y.jpg

Andy brown

What a great series Jaime, stunning creature.
It must have been a buzz to see it and shoot it like that.

I live in Australia which has no big cats. I saw a civet cat up close in Malaysia which was very exciting.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jaime,

How near are they to pets? What about infants? I'd be pretty concenred! Or maybe they keep away from humans, but your guys doesn't seem scared at all!

Asher

Jaime Johnson

These are all pictures of the same cat. I believe it was a kitten last year (so it is young). They are highly prized for their fur (unfortunately) and often hunted or trapped here in Montana. We see quite a few cats, most of them don't stand around - about every 7 or 8 we seem to get one to play. He was on a back road near our home, but a back road where I live is rarely driven!

Andrew Rodney

Nice! If you're ever in Santa Fe, bring a print and wonder over to the Bobcat Bite for the best green chili cheese burgers in the world (this place is famous). A print might get you a seat faster, the place is tiny. Shots of bobcats all over the walls.

John Pecan

those are some very nice pics..great cats for sure...we have them here but seldom are they seen, almost exclusively nocturnal...and always in pretty heavy cover