• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Handheld pano with Canon 350D and Sigma 8mm FE lens

Dorin Godja

Hello everyone, this pano I posted also on my introductory thread.
In intention was to be a pano from a child's point of view (low height)

I think it will be useful to post here as a reference, mean as a sample of pano made using only a Camera and a Fish eye lens with no panoramic head nor tripod

fm.jpg

click on the link to see it immersively
http://www.dxn.ro/dxn_pano.html?pano=porumbei

Comments, thoughts, are welcome.

cheers,
Dorin

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Dorin,

So this is Romania! :)

I am impressed with both the choice of combination of the Canon 350D and Sigma 8mm combination as well as the location. It's almost as if a full frame would be too much. given the price of the 350 D this is a bargain way of getting into panoramic photography at more reasonable prices and with considerably less effort. What's so special here is the immersive experience. I set your picture at the ground looking at the pigeons on the modern flat stone work of the city square. That alone was beautiful. Then I tilted upwards and forwards to bring in the buildings and people. There was such a welcome to the scene and when we found the children that was even more delightful and pulling back to see the entire vista was even more satisfying. I find the child's perspective especially refreshing.

This method of photography allows fast instant capture of presence in a wonderful location. It's almost as if one should carry this setup everywhere.

I wonder whether the experience would be better using more pixels with this 8mm Sigma lens?

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Dorin

welcome here; the pano within the pigeon is quite interesting - you managed the overlap of the moving birds well!

Asher

the 8 mm-fish on crop is comparable to the 15 mm-fish on FF: diagonal fisheye.... therefore filling the format.

Dorin Godja

Asher,
about the prices for getting into panoramic photography, some of my panos on my web page are made with Canon 350D and 18-55m kit lens.

Michael,
was certainly a challenge being handheld, thought not techinical achivement was what interests me , more artistic, I tried to embbed some intersting, pleasent moments as well, a bit of the curiosity and joy for both children and grownups.

thank you both,
Dorin