• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Crested Caracara

Eric Diller

Spotted the Female Caracara today at the Wetlands while the Male was guarding the nest. These 2 shots posed some difficult lighting conditions plus she kept walking around. Thoughts?

PIC_7832copy.jpg

PIC_7896copy.jpg

Mark Doodeman

Very nice. In my eyes, while the uneven lighting does take away some detail that would otherwise show through, I think it worked out in your favor- it adds some realism to the photo and especially in the first picture, adds a little bit of interest in the wings. Nice shots!

Tough lighting conditions, for sure, but you did fairly well with it. Careful post-processing, and especially the use of the Shadows/Highlights tool if it's available on your editor, helps in this kind of situation (especially the 2nd shot).

Love the low angle on the 2nd shot!

Eric Diller

Tough lighting conditions, for sure, but you did fairly well with it. Careful post-processing, and especially the use of the Shadows/Highlights tool if it's available on your editor, helps in this kind of situation (especially the 2nd shot).

Love the low angle on the 2nd shot!

Believe or not this is after I open shadows and highlights. I didn't want to over do it, trying to maintain the way it really looked when I took the picture.

Believe or not this is after I open shadows and highlights. I didn't want to over do it, trying to maintain the way it really looked when I took the picture.

Probably close to mid-day sun!

Your comment brings up an interesting point - we see the world very differently from how our cameras see the world. Our eyes and visual processing system see over an extremely wide range from dark to bright - exceptionally high dynamic range. DSLR's have a much narrow dynamic range, which is why we have trouble simultaneously capturing deep shadows and bright highlights in a single image on bright, sunny days.

When out shooting, we always have to keep this in the back of our minds - trying to see how our cameras will see it, not as our eyes see it. You do the best you can, and then use all the available tools (including shooting in Raw format, the Shadows/Highlights, Curves/Levels in Photoshop, etc.) to "emulate" the actual scene we perceived.

Food for thought!