• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pinewood Panorama (java)

The Pinewood Panorama was my first single row panorama test with Panasonic DMC-LC1 and RRS panorama head back in 2006. At this time I did not know how to present really big panorama files over the internet in a web browser and the only option was the use of Java:

I used PTgui to stich the panorama and Helmut Dersch's Java-Applet ptviewer.jar to show the 1.8 MB JPEG file in the browser. The original 8-bit stitched picture is 164 MB and size is 13044 x 4403 pixel. I tested different software with the original out-of-camera JPEG files in 2006 and very soon found out that PTgui was much better than the competition Kekus PTmac or Realviz Stitcher.

http://karstenschneeberger.com/pinewood_java/pinewood.html

From early 2008 on I now use pano2vr to showcase panoramic pictures in flash fullscreen. More in the next posts...

Karsten

PS: here is the preview...

pinewood_preview.jpg

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
As nice as the Flash version!
much faster to load but of course one can't get the full screen…
I guess Flash is better spreaded on all computers than Java nowadays… is there a way to make the Flash version lighter but to keep some good IQ?

Hi Nicolas,

it very much depends on the picture size to use in full screen mode and on the jpeg settings in Pano2VR. To me this is a trial and error process, where I stop trying again, when I am satisfied with the full screen image quality, sometimes already at 8 MB flash file size.

Since java and also quicktime is not included with most windows xp or vista installations, the only reasonable approach is to use flash.

Karsten

As nice as the Flash version!
much faster to load but of course one can't get the full screen…
I guess Flash is better spreaded on all computers than Java nowadays… is there a way to make the Flash version lighter but to keep some good IQ?