• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Urban Scenics, My start, The Mailman Arrives. Add yours!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We often look to the grand scenes of nature. Canyon carved by water. Layers of green carpets of grasses, shrubs and scenes overlapping to the distant hills in mist. We capture the impressive super architectures of bridges, highways and sculpted buildings.

Here I'm showing with some modesty, softer urban space, where people live and the mailman comes each day to deliver real letters and lots of junk mail and fines for illegal parking or divorce papers or perhaps..........

PanoT1536_Mailman_900pixel.jpg

© Asher Kelman "The Mailman Arrives"

Hope you have feedback on this idea and your own pictures too.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Asher
a nice capture and a nice idea!
Your picture make me feel, I've been around there sometime ago… in a way… familiar!

Yes maybe that's what you're calling for! Images of every day familiar scenes…

BTW what are these black rectangular on top left of your picture?

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher
a nice capture and a nice idea!
Your picture make me feel, I've been around there sometime ago… in a way… familiar!
Yes, Nicolas,

It would be great and more empathetic to share views where people live every day as opposed to just the natural and industrial spectacular scenes.

Yes maybe that's what you're calling for! Images of every day familiar scenes…

Yes its Urban Rockwell, but softer, much more subtle, I hope!

BTW what are these black rectangular on top left of your picture?

That my friend is empty space. You cannot be fooled! I'll deal with the original but wanted to get this shown! Good thing I didn't make it as a VR Pano!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
With such sun and green foliage, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't tell me this was shot this week, but last summer! it's 23 F° here (-5° Celsius) since so many days!

I am really enjoying this Asher. It has made me look a number of times. First I thought the postman looked rather ghostly and then I saw the ghost of a car passing as well. The first time I looked I saw neither. What else am I perhaps not seeing yet?
James

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I think it's a reflection on the lens from the angle. The car is going in a backward direction...wierd.

Nicolas, that corner looks familiar to me but I grew up in the neighborhood where it was taken. And it's in the upper 60's here with sunshine today.

Valentin Arfire

beautiful picture

I like it a lot; please reveal the equipment and the workflow; looking forward for a big one with lots of details. Still maybe you could stitch it with a straight street.

re common scene:
The common day-to-day life consists of a lot of plain common places to view and maybe enjoy - it's only up to each of us to discover and enjoy the depths and nuances. Usually we are the ones who impose all limitations.

thanks for sharing

regards,

Interesting idea, to shoot panoramas of the everyday life. But also difficult, because the subjects of everyday life don't stay put while one can take 2-3, or 10 pictures to be stitched. And in a city there are a lot of elements that are close and moving fast, and that's making the stitching/blending more difficult. And if you shoot handheld, you've got the recipe to spend some while on the computer trying to fix things :))

How many shots you have stitched here? I guess you did it handheld, that's why is the black spaces on the top-left side. I also guess you had landscape shots instead of portrait and you don't have too many frames. Well, since I haven't seen the original photos, I can't be sure, but I think the mailman can be fixed so he won't be so ghostly. And maybe that car moving too...

I like the idea so I'll try to come up of my own! ;)

Asher Kelman

Well, since I haven't seen the original photos, I can't be sure, but I think the mailman can be fixed so he won't be so ghostly. And maybe that car moving too...

I like the idea so I'll try to come up of my own! ;)
Hi Andrei,

APP should remove the ghosts, at least 2.0. However, I do like the ghosts as that gives secrets to be realized.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Interesting idea, to shoot panoramas of the everyday life. But also difficult, because the subjects of everyday life don't stay put while one can take 2-3, or 10 pictures to be stitched. And in a city there are a lot of elements that are close and moving fast, and that's making the stitching/blending more difficult. And if you shoot handheld, you've got the recipe to spend some while on the computer trying to fix things :))

Yes, Andrei, people moving can be a problem.. Now if you use AutoPano Pro, at least the latest versions, should get rid of ghosting where someone has moved. Now why APP picks one versus another instance of the same person I don't know. If a car is moving across the scene and part of the car is caught in one shot and the other in a subsequent picture, then APP will automatically stitch them together, or can make them vanish. I haven't figured out how to control these factors but hte default is to have one figure and the duplicate instances of that person are removed......or should be.

In a busy place, one can also take repeated pics of where the people are going by and stacking the images can remove all the people and the street will be utterly empty.

How many shots you have stitched here? I guess you did it handheld, that's why is the black spaces on the top-left side. I also guess you had landscape shots instead of portrait and you don't have too many frames.

The pictures were on a drive with 31,000 images rescued from a crashed LaCie drive! Since there are no names I can relate to, I have to check all the images. I put stuff that seemed to be panos into one folder and dumped that to APP to have it automatically recognize panoramas for stitching. In this case, it took 12 pics, all landscape and stitched them. However, the mailman in the shadow of the trees, was present in 5 pictures! I processed over-exposed, under-exposed and as shot from in ACR. Then I put copies in a large blank black photoshop picture with a black b.g. and manually lined things up to see what was redundant. So I carefully removed as many pictures as I could, sacrificing some height and ending up with just two adjacent images which would stitch together perfectly. With leaves and branches, I think it's best to have the least overlap. I trimmed both a tad so that the join and good overlap is to the right of the right-hand edge of the mail truck.

I then made sure everything was vertical and use a cylindrical projection and then straighten the verticals.

So now the image is represented:

Before:

PanoT1536_Mailman_900pixel.jpg

© Asher Kelman "The Mailman Arrives" (APP selected images)

Reprocessed thought RAW, 2 images with 3 levels of development in ACR. This is not ready for printing, I just worked up a jpg for show. I have to look at the blending of the layers and leave out the over-exposed layer. The leaves on the right are way to light. I'll have to check the roof color first as it seems rather pale. Still I like the idea and will do more.

Pano_T1536x1024_from HDR_1200 pixels.jpg

© Asher Kelman "The Mailman Arrives" hand matched pair

Now I think the ghost car, in the original, was really a "trompe l'oeil" and just an effect of the shadows of the trees playing with our minds! I'll do more but using portrait mode!

Asher

Now I think the ghost car, in the original, was really a "trompe l'oeil" and just an effect of the shadows of the trees playing with our minds! I'll do more but using portrait mode!

Hi Asher,

A kind of a tutorial, and a nice picture, and a nice theme. Your posts have depth!

As mentioned , when horizontal movement is involved, it may be benefiial to use 'portrait orientation' tiles for a stitched mosaic. When the algorithm to remove/reduce ghosts is based on a(variation of) median averaging, then 3+ images of a given location should offer good reduction of 'moving subjects in he same spot'. The "SmartBlend" algorithm allows very efficient elimination of 'repeated' occurences. AFAIK, it is also used by the AutoPano application (when selected as blending method).

Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

A kind of a tutorial, and a nice picture, and a nice theme. Your posts have depth!

As mentioned , when horizontal movement is involved, it may be benefiial to use 'portrait orientation' tiles for a stitched mosaic. When the algorithm to remove/reduce ghosts is based on a(variation of) median averaging, then 3+ images of a given location should offer good reduction of 'moving subjects in he same spot'. The "SmartBlend" algorithm allows very efficient elimination of 'repeated' occurences. AFAIK, it is also used by the AutoPano application (when selected as blending method).

Bart
Hi Bart,

The program included in CS4 Photoshop allows one to mark and object and being not needed and when the picture is shrunk, that object will be removed. In panos if the are ghosts, which image is used to generate the position of the single instance?

How does one mark which moving people to keep and which to dump?

I don't really want to start using another stitcher besides APP. RealViz I have but don't use for several years since APP came out and is so easy. I would like to be able to specify which objects are valuable and which are removable. At the moment, the software decides!

Asher