• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My local Wood Duck....

Eric Diller

What a challenge it is to get pictures of this guy! He hangs out in the pond near my house waiting on a mate I suspect. He hides low in the weeds and everytime he sees my truck he hauls butt deeper into them!! I have to walk around the pond where he is hiding, sometimes he is buried deep in the bush. Finally I will locate him, flush him out and he swims hard out towards the middle of the pond. Usually 3 dips in the water and then his theatrical wing flap. I really think they have cool looking eyes.

This one taken in late afternoon....Throwing a little water in the air!!
PIC_8482copy.jpg

These 2 in the middle of the day.....
PIC_8467copy-1.jpg

PIC_7566copy.jpg

Very nice, Eric. Wood ducks, because of their sharply contrasting black and white markings, make challenging exposure subjects in good light; you did quite well in mid-day harsh light.

The light and background make the first image quite strong; the look back from the duck in the second, though, is also very appealing. The third is pretty contrasty because of the harsh light; a little work with shadows and highlights might tame this a bit.

Nice work!

Eric Diller

Very nice, Eric. Wood ducks, because of their sharply contrasting black and white markings, make challenging exposure subjects in good light; you did quite well in mid-day harsh light.

The light and background make the first image quite strong; the look back from the duck in the second, though, is also very appealing. The third is pretty contrasty because of the harsh light; a little work with shadows and highlights might tame this a bit.

Nice work!

Thanks Don...I always value your opinions. Now that I look at the 3rd one harder I agree with you. I have been shooting all my photos in raw lately> I will need to work harder on my PP.
Thanks again!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Eric,

This duck has remarkable color. I wonder how you are processing the file. Here it would seem that working in RAW and making a number of separate derivatives for highlights and shadows would be a great idea. This is one of the richest pictures ever. I'd even think that the water should be processed sparately.

Asher