• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

'Kitchen studio' portrait of my brother and his family

Mike Shimwell

I shot this a few months back in about ten minutes, including getting the single strobe and shoot through brolly set up, when they asked I'd take their picture one day.

Mike

3183780457_c6692a2a97_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I shot this a few months back in about ten minutes, including getting the single strobe and shoot through brolly set up, when they asked I'd take their picture one day.
Well, they're fortunate! I like the real happiness. You niece is so cute and is really having fun. She a light bulb herself! Her mother seems a happy lady. The two of them do go well together. The child being held and leaning in to her motehr is is a nice touch. I have a niggle or two. Your brother is rather tall! He certainly seems a warm fellow. I like the picture and I'm sure they will treasure it.

It's interesting to me that each of the 3 faces and poses are differently drawn. Of course the child's face is perfectly smooth and the others are more mature, but it's more than that. The girl is really enjoying the moment, even relating to you. Her mother is intent on making the composition one of closeness and your brother stands behind them, glowingly proud that he's there. All are different.

The other thing that's worthy, is the color of the picture. B&W, is of course not either. The portrait has a touch of wood bark or siennna, just enough so it's not glaring. Is that the Rodinol or what?

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Asher, thnks for your kind comments and keen observation. You always draw much out of pictures that help me in learning to see more clearly. Your deduction of character is also keen and lifts the image for me.

Dave is rather tall, at 6ft 3in he bests me by more than an inch:)

This one was shot with the 5D and 50 1.4. The processing and toning is in Lightroom.

Mike

doug anderson

I like everything but the light. Light coming from the side and reflected would be much more interesting. That said, I like the photo.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like everything but the light. Light coming from the side and reflected would be much more interesting. That said, I like the photo.
Doug,

I see what you are saying but I feel the moment of the flash going of. That gives this picture a special spontaneous live presence which represents better the immediate non-planned decision to make this picture. A more planned lighting would have not shown this so well.

Asher