• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Product photography studio equipment advice

Hi all,

Along with a friend of mine, who has some cash, we are trying to put together a studio for product photography. The products we are intending to shoot are ranged from small size (a lighter, a cell phone, a jewel) up to bigger sizes like a refrigerator or human sized objects.

For that purpose I'm researching a list of equipment to be purchased and I need your advices. I don't have experience working in studios and the more I search the net, read and watch online movies, the more I get confused and more questions come into my mind.

I've figured out that I will need various light tents/boxes ranging from small to big, but for a refrigerator (for example) that won't be a solution, I can't imagine I can fit something like that into a tent, so I guess I'll need a large white/black/gray backdrop.

For sure I will need lights :) But this is a subject so vast that gives me some headaches. How many lights should I buy, to cover the entire range of products that I intend to shoot? What power? Flash or continuous lights? If flash, then what flashes would work best, the small ones, that can be attached on camera or on light stands, or studio flashes that are put on stands and then you can attach various accessories on? If continuous lights then tungsten lights, or neon/daytime lights? What power?

About accessories, I saw plenty of them but do I need all of that? I mean, there are umbrellas, diffusers, reflectors, softboxes, and so on...

Needless to say, our budget is small. So we need to buy the things that are really important to do the job, nothing fancy, just the basics. Of course in time, as the experience is growing and the budget is rising, we will get into more specialized and expensive stuff :)

So I kindly ask you, to share with me your advices on this matter, to enlighten me so I can take the right decisions.

Thank you very much!

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Andrei -
I'm sure the pro's on this forum are likely to laugh at my "list" but to get you started (in a low-budget manner) here's my recommendation:

1-Flash meter

2-400/600 watt second monolights for your key and fill lights.
1-small AC strobe for your background, and 3 light stands.

2-36" umbrellas (white so you can use for bounce or shooting through).

Roll paper for your background (it's cheap and comes in many widths and colors).

Make you own background stand - 2 cheap light stands and a piece of PVC pipe - just make sure the stands are tall enough.

1-small tent for shooting very small objects, the rest can be shot on paper.

As for things like reflectors, either buy a collapsible, rectangular one or simply use rigid posterboard.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I don't know the scene in Bucharest so pursuing my suggestion may not be feasible.

RENT as much as possible until you feel you have a steady stream of business that requires a specific set of equipment. RENT all of your bigger lighting. RENT your cameras. RENT your studio spaces. The most consistently stupid behavior that I see young men do as they try to convert hobbies into vocations is to use the endeavor as an excuse to go shopping, then shortly thereafter go bankrupt.

Sinking relatively large amounts of cash into equipment for occasional use on jobs is dumb. Rental is the way to go. Easier on the bank. Easier to account. Rental gear folks can also give you some excellent guidance.

Think like a businessman, not like a hobbyist.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Andrei,

In Bucharest, for sure, you will find everything you need for rental. The most important thing in business is sales not making the product. If you have the marketing plan that gets customers, you can always get the product. So with that an Ken's advice, your on your way.

Now I assume you already can shoot product. Is that the case? What did you use? If you haven't done that, then that's a whole different challenge.

Good luck!

Asher

Andrei, light tents are not an ideal way to shoot many (most) products. They provide flat light that does not show the product colors and features to advantage.

Buy the book "Light - Science & Magic" by Hunter, Biver, and Fuqua before you buy any equipment.

Good product photography is a lot more involved than just putting the thing in a tent and setting up some lights. Product photography is about reflections and shadows, the good and the bad, and how they are controlled.

Instead of buying everythign at once, I suggest buying the book and one studio strobe and learning you way up the ladder.

For sure I will need lights :) But this is a subject so vast that gives me some headaches. How many lights should I buy, to cover the entire range of products that I intend to shoot? What power? Flash or continuous lights? If flash, then what flashes would work best, the small ones, that can be attached on camera or on light stands, or studio flashes that are put on stands and then you can attach various accessories on? If continuous lights then tungsten lights, or neon/daytime lights? What power?

About accessories, I saw plenty of them but do I need all of that? I mean, there are umbrellas, diffusers, reflectors, softboxes, and so on...

Needless to say, our budget is small. So we need to buy the things that are really important to do the job, nothing fancy, just the basics. Of course in time, as the experience is growing and the budget is rising, we will get into more specialized and expensive stuff :)

So I kindly ask you, to share with me your advices on this matter, to enlighten me so I can take the right decisions.!

Hi Andrei,

I figure that with 500 Ws flash equipment, you'll be able to get ample power for the subjects you mention.

Andrei, light tents are not an ideal way to shoot many (most) products. They provide flat light that does not show the product colors and features to advantage.

Buy the book "Light - Science & Magic" by Hunter, Biver, and Fuqua before you buy any equipment.

Good product photography is a lot more involved than just putting the thing in a tent and setting up some lights. Product photography is about reflections and shadows, the good and the bad, and how they are controlled.

Instead of buying everythign at once, I suggest buying the book and one studio strobe and learning you way up the ladder.

Yes, I agree, and due to an earlier suggestion by Chas, I did buy that book via Amazon.com. It is well written and a very good investment! Although I already knew a fair amount of things about (studio) lighting, this book really adds to an encompassing view of lighting.

It is a great book and you will learn a lot, reading the book will give you an idea of what you will need in your studio as well.

Yes it's a great way of making up one's mind, as to the lighting setup needed, as well.

A highly recommended resource! Money well spent!

Bart

Hello guys,

Thank your for all your answers, I'll try to reply to each one below.

@John,
Your list comes close to what I've imagined for myself, but with a few exceptions. I've never used a flash meter so I'm not sure if I should spend money on it right from the start. Actually, I've never used studio flashes, only continuous light... But I guess that's about to change, pretty soon.

@Ken,
You do have a point saying that I should rent most of it. But in my case, I don't need to rent the space, I already have the camera and have access to a nice range of lenses. Renting some equipment is a good idea if I don't need that equipment all the time and/or when I can't afford to buy it. But I am expecting to work in the studio on a daily basis, even if I don't have clients each day, but I will need the basic equipment to experiment, and learn. And I don't think that renting equipment to learn and to do my own experiments would be a profitable solution. I'm not rushing into buying expensive stuff, I'm trying to find a moneywise solution that could help me do the jobs I expect and that would help me improve myself.
I'm not the kind of guy who would jump at the wheel of the latest Ferrari, right after he get's the drivers license... ;)

@Asher,
Well, I'm not a very good businessman, or maybe should I say a salesman. But I do have a strategy in mind, target clients and a way to market myself locally. And my associate is better than me at selling things... :)
As Ken suggested, I'll do a search in Bucharest to check on the rental prices, so I am taking into account that advice.
About shooting product, well... To say that I can shoot product and to actually shoot great product photos, is a big difference. I'm not quite a novice but I'm no master either. I did in the past some product photography, mostly for websites and some brochures, and a little bit of food photography. And if you asked, I had three 500W halogen lights (very hot) that I've attached umbrellas, and recently I have got 2 cheap neon lights (425W) also with umbrellas and stands.

@Charles, Charlie and Bart,
I actually have access to that book, but to my shame, I totally forgot about it and obviously I haven't read it... :(
I'm going to correct that mistake, but still I have accelerate somehow this process of research and learning, the quickest way would be practicing the theory! :)

Thanks again to all, and of course, if there are more ideas/suggestions it's more than welcomed!

charlie chipman

Hello guys,
I actually have access to that book, but to my shame, I totally forgot about it and obviously I haven't read it... :(
I'm going to correct that mistake, but still I have accelerate somehow this process of research and learning, the quickest way would be practicing the theory! :)

This book makes it very simple to follow along while you are reading so you can practice the theory while reading the book.

This book makes it very simple to follow along while you are reading so you can practice the theory while reading the book.

Exactly, and unless one uses a learning plan (like this book), one is going to waste more time without learning anything than is needed. The book offers a logical progression from simple lighting to more complex. It also teaches about the best use of focal length and gobos to get the best out your subjects with certain lighting setups. I never knew I'd enjoy reading this book as much as I do/did before I got it. It's one of those must have's (and read) ...

Bart

I have same project here in Bolivia...

I had to consider the problem of voltage since where I am is 220v. If that is the case I found out that Elinchrome makes good compact flash lights that can be used in 110 or 220v environments. Some models are only 110v, other adapt automatically, so you would have to be careful and buy the modeling bulbs accordingly.

Regarding rent or own, I think that It is good to have some equipment to be able to test shoot for portfolio. You can't expect to be hired to shoot apples if you don't show photos of apples that you have done.

I also got very inexpensive and good quality light banks new on eBay for my Elinchromes. Honey comb modifiers could be on your to buy list...

Hiya,

After some thoughts and deliberations, and based on your thoughts (and mine :) ) I went shopping. I managed not to exceed 1000 euros (actually all that I've spent was 900eur). Here's what I got:
- Elinchrom D-Lite 4 to Go kit (2x400W strobes)
- one set of 2 umbrellas, one for diffusion and one for reflection of light, 83cm diameter
- one collapsible dome 75x75cm
- one kit for backdrops (2 Giottos air cushioned light stands and one Giottos crossbar set)
- one white backdrop (2.75m x 11m)
- radio remotes for flash sync.
Other stuff like panel reflectors and little stands I will build myself. Actually I'll try to build whatever I can... ;)
Now the fun begins... :D