• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Our Kid

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd share my forthcoming blog post with you before it get's published.

The phrase "Our Kid" is a slang term used in the northwest of England to describe a sibling.

In this case I have used it to describe my older brother. This is one of two shots, the second is yet to be processed:

3189293546_5e501db885_b.jpg

I've been experimenting with Photoshop on a new post processing technique and would be interested to hear what you guys think of the finished result:

Incidentally, for those of you who are interested, the image was lit using a strobe fired through a softbox above camera right, with the right hand side of the subject being lit by a window.

Many thanks,

Matt

janet Smith

pro member
I've been experimenting with Photoshop on a new post processing technique and would be interested to hear what you guys think of the finished result

Hi Matt

A very striking image you've made of your brother - I wonder what he thinks of it?

I've come back and looked at this a few times, at first I wasn't quite sure what to make of it.... On looking again - and again! I prefer the first version you've posted here, without the cropping and I prefer the warmer tone. The positioning of his fingers........ is this meant to convey some meaning - I'm not sure how to interpret it - what was your intention?

I could see this image in b&W with the left hand side of his face darkened further into the shadow, yet leaving the light on his hand, just a suggestion, interesting shot....

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Matt,
Indeed, this is a very striking image. I've come back to it a number of times. I agree with Janet, in that I'm inclined to say I like the original version a bit better.
You mentioned experimenting with a new post-processing technique - care to share your workflow and how you created this wonderful image?

Matt Halstead

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

@John, the pp on this shot was very lengthy (took about a week to finish the image and used approx 30 layers). Put very briefly, differing exposures were worked in PS, not in the context of HDR but instead using blending modes. The Channels were also manipulated, along with localised sharpening....

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Matt,
The time you've invested is certainly evident. My first reaction when I saw the image was "there's something quietly HDR-ish going on here", however there's obviously much greater techniques applied than a bit o' Photomatix.
Well done!

Matt Halstead

Hi Matt,
The time you've invested is certainly evident. My first reaction when I saw the image was "there's something quietly HDR-ish going on here", however there's obviously much greater techniques applied than a bit o' Photomatix.
Well done!

Many thanks John, if i ever finalise my processing technique I may one day create a tutorial, the problem is that every image i process slightly differently depending on the shoot conditions and also the processing is an ever evoving beast!

Maybe one day...

DLibrach

Very nice work and processing. Like the others, I prefer your original image. The warmer tones seem to be much more effective than the cooler, 2nd post.

If I could add a suggestion or two, I would like to see the eyes opened up a bit (i.e. brightened with a bit of dodging). Maybe just the left eye and side of the face (camera-right). That would bring out the intensity in they eye(s) even more as well as add some extra drama to the lighting overall. I'm also wondering if you would be able to lessen a bit of the halo effect caused by the processing. This is most noticeable around the bottom of the ear and the hair line (especially on the left of the frame). Just nit-picking really, but do find it a tad distracting.

Do you have others that have been processed like this? Would love to see them.

Cheers,
David

Matt Halstead

Very nice work and processing. Like the others, I prefer your original image. The warmer tones seem to be much more effective than the cooler, 2nd post.

If I could add a suggestion or two, I would like to see the eyes opened up a bit (i.e. brightened with a bit of dodging). Maybe just the left eye and side of the face (camera-right). That would bring out the intensity in they eye(s) even more as well as add some extra drama to the lighting overall. I'm also wondering if you would be able to lessen a bit of the halo effect caused by the processing. This is most noticeable around the bottom of the ear and the hair line (especially on the left of the frame). Just nit-picking really, but do find it a tad distracting.

Do you have others that have been processed like this? Would love to see them.

Cheers,
David

Hi David, many thanks for the comments, this shot is still a work in progress so will certainly revisit the eyes. With re: the halo, this is purely sloppyt pp on my behalf and I did intend to correct this! Below is a variation on the above technique, which was tweaked to bring out more saturation:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=67485#post67485

Regards