• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Young Girl

Rachel Foster

One of the first portraits with the 5d mII.

Obviously, tripod and remote shutter release would improve it, as would a lower ISO. Granted, it's not crisp enough, my questions center on lighting and color or bw?

ISO 6400, f/4.5, 50mm, 1/100. I've a remote shutter release on order.

smalleliana.jpg

smallelianabw.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Rachel,

I'm blown away by the quality at ISO 6400 and impressed with the color. Could you give us 100% cutouts, so we can see how robust this is going to be to large size output.

The B&W, for me at least, doesn't work. How did you make the conversion?

Congrats Rachel, welcome to the club. Now the work begins!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Rachel,

Look at the Hy6 threads by Nicolas Claris. He has examples of 100% samples of images. It's a section of an image without reducing the number of pixels of that portion. Just open the image and then crop sat just an eye, the lips or part of the nose. See if that's not to big to post.

Asher

Rachel Foster

I must be misunderstanding. Even if I go for just the eyes, it still shows as 3000 x 2400 pixels. Also, photobucket reduces the size automatically.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I don't know who is Rebecca here, but Rachel! that's such a huge progress from earlier posts!

I'm so impressed! and yes, your new camera is well used and amazing at such iso…

Continue in this direction, and for once I agree with Asher, B&W is not worth the try with such light and subject...

Rachel Foster

Quite embarrassed here...I don't know what noise ninja is. I opened it through Bridge and lowered the exposure (it was too bright). I cropped it and nothing more.

Another embarrassment is my lighting on this one. I shot it at home and so the set up is quite primitive. It's easier to show than describe.

smalllight.jpg

I think it's the girl who gets credit for whatever is good about this image, along with the amazing 5d! I've suspected for a while that the Rebel wasn't capable (in my hands, anyway) of what I try to do.

Thanks for the feedback Asher, Nicolas, and Charlotte. Deeply appreciated.

Asher Kelman

I don't know who is Rebecca here, but Rachel! that's such a huge progress from earlier posts!

I'm so impressed! and yes, your new camera is well used and amazing at such iso…

Continue in this direction, and for once I agree with Asher, B&W is not worth the try with such light and subject...

Rachel,

This, if you were starting a new religion or a stock portfolio, would make me a beleiver. I'm so impressed and for sure you have not put this through noise Ninja?

Asher

Well,

So who is Rebecca? The eyes on your cute model reminded me of Rebecca one of my favorite and most talented models for my work. Part of being a dreamer, I guess! Take it as a complement!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Quite embarrassed here...I don't know what noise ninja is. I opened it through Bridge and lowered the exposure (it was too bright). I cropped it and nothing more.

Bonsoir Rachel

Even better then !

Noise Ninja is a plug-in (but AFAIK can be ran as a stand alone software) for CS, it is one of the best noise remover.
Here's the link it is one of the plug -ins I use the most…

Hmm black curtains and a piano… where's the black cat? :)

Rachel Foster

Same model, different day.

I have been experimenting with lighting, slave flash and other technical things. Today's shoot produced this wonderfully impish expression, but I wonder if the image is spoiled by how dark the left side of the face is. It's not a strong enough contrast for chiaroscuro so I worry it's too dark or not dark enough. I did some ps adjustment of brightness and a little history brush.

ISO 100, 1/125 (sync speed), f/14.

smallimpedit.jpg

Jim Galli

Charlotte, I hope you will forgive me another little stab at the BW. I loved the shot and thought the BW would definitely be worth while. I can easily take it down if it offends.

Jacob_Eliana_2009.jpg

Rachel Foster

Jim, I think the BW version you posted just now is the best I've seen of that image.

(BTW, Charlotte is she who does the really creative stuff. I'm the "other" one...ha!)

Clayton Lofgren

I have seldom seen an image improved so much by going B&W, but there was some more work done on it as well. In any case, a fine conversion.