• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Ad

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
I thought it might be fun to show the actual ad from one of my shoots instead of just the photo. This was photographed with the Leaf AFi7 camera.

ProFight_MagazineAd_display%20copy.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ian,

It's impressive. How much planning do they leave to you for the shot or does the art director have a sketch and they have a presence at the shoot?

Asher

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Ian,

It's impressive. How much planning do they leave to you for the shot or does the art director have a sketch and they have a presence at the shoot?

Asher

Two points are in play here, one specific and one general. This client is a prior client and familiar with my work in the industry. They asked me to come up with an ad and marketing campaign for the year and in this shoot to photograph what was needed for this ad. It was up to me to select the location, the model, design the shoot and shoot various photos that could be the final candidate for this specific ad. No one from the company was there, just myself and my crew. And as usual I had a too short timeline for getting the shoot done but I got it done.

In general it is not unusual at least in this industry for the companies to be not be highly sophisticated in ads and marketing. So I do find myself often pressed into the position of coming up with concepts or working around their concepts without much input or immediate oversight.

The good and bad of it, I have no extra eyes and criticism on the shoots. The bad part is that it all falls on me. I just saw a photo from one of my ad shoots in a double spread for a company where my assignment was to shoot a series that they could use for a somewhat vague ad campaign. They gave me just a very few photos on a shot list and wanted me to do 'what I do'. One company owner was on set for maybe an hour but only to bring in one of the 'stars' and then take him back to his hotel.

My larger clients do often provide a sketch or an idea which I will then execute but even they often just let me go at it.

Thanks for the kind words.