• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Norway - Glacier and footbridge

Mike Shimwell

On the walk to the Nogardsbreen Glacier you cross the footbridge shown here. This is trying to get some sense of the scale of the glacier, which at 80kms long is europe's largest.

Mike

3248612919_3a101573e8_o.jpg

Very beautiful Mike. You are so lucky to be in a place with so much to offer photgraphically. The size of this is obvious thanks to your use of the bridge and people to give the sense of scale. Is the glacier still moving forward or is it melting and receding? Are you able to walk or climb about on it? Have you ever done any HDR imaging? This might be an excellent candidate for such an experiment. Beautiful picture. Thank you for showing it to us.
James Newman

Mike Shimwell

James, this was last summer's holiday - not every day life:) The glacier is receding at between 1m and 5m per year, although if this winter is cold it may gain some ground again. On this arm you can do a range of guided walks or go on your own if you are properly experienced. I took Hannah, our six year old, for a family walk that lasted about 1.5 to 2 hours (it was supposed to be one, but the group was large and we had to go higher to turn around). It was a spectacular experience and she was thrilled to have managed it.

In terms of HDR, this area was actually relatively low in dynamic range as the rock and ice are very reflective and hence you have some great big fill panels on every side. On these images the highlights were all fully recoverable and the black point is about 20, so I have actualy left them slightly high key to try and retain some sense of the brightness and light. Otherwise I've done a little HDR, but have only once reallt managed a look I was happy with - practice I'm sure would improve matters.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In terms of HDR, this area was actually relatively low in dynamic range as the rock and ice are very reflective and hence you have some great big fill panels on every side.
It's so impressive. You have a tough little girl!

Fill panels? Explain what you had and did on the edge of a glacier 1.5 hours from home!

Is what I think is sky, sky with clouds or is it the glacier, which I thought would be more blue?

Asher

Well I guess you are still lucky to be able to go there on holiday:) I think it very impressive but imagine that seeing it printed large would be even more so. Thank you for the information too.
James