• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

It's Still Winter, So Yet a Little More Ice

Cem's wonderful skate off to the horizon photo got the old wheels turning. Temperatures have moderated lately, but only a few days ago they didn't get above zero degrees fahrenheit.

108870382.jpg

This one was taken from behind an ice falls at an Illinois River canyon recently. Canon 5D and 180mm macro lens. Everyone in the northern hemisphere is probably just about fed up with winter by now, but this one might not look too bad by next July, maybe.

Tom

Tom- I love this photo! I especially like how you were able to capture the blue colors. It looks so cold! Did you have to do anything special to get this look (flash, etc.)?

Thank you Kristin,

Nothing but available light was used. The ice column was quite large after a long period of very cold temperatures. The photo posted above was taken while standing alongside the thing, with light coming in from the right.

108971420.jpg

This one was shot from directly behind the column, with the only light coming through the ice itself.

108871415.jpg

And this last one was taken from the side opposite of the first with light from the left.

Oddly enough, after spending several hours working over this icefall, the one angle that didn't seem to work at all was from the front, where the ice was directly lit.

Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

The lighting is just wonderful. What a find! These together are a wonderful study of light and the frozen water. The first has the ice growing from dripping above and the second is due water dripping from above. I wonder how that would look arranged vertically as a diptych.

I hope you will continue to photograph this rich subject before it is gone!

Asher