• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Friend Fury....

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Along the way I have made a lot of great friends. This is my good buddy Jamie also known as American Gladiator "Fury".

JamieReed-266.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ian,

She seems a sympathetic character. Good lines but no over-developed streaky muscles. I like the angle as it increases her importance. Did you composite this shot and if not why is the edge of the hill so sharp when the trees and roofs are so soft?

There are two sets of shadows on her. One matches the hillside shadows so this seems to fit very well. The other?

In any case, I like the picture but I'd consider blurring the sharp edge to the hilltop as it is slightly distracting.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well Ian,

That explains the extra shadow. you have presented her really well. Could you share more. I know she must like this.

Asher

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
She has not seen them yet, probably won't for a week or so. I was using my Profoto Acute 2400 with one head and the 1x4 softbox at f/22.

JamieReed-471.jpg

Asher Kelman

Ian,

I can see the box! Not too big and does the job. It works in nicely to the composition!

How much of 2400 WS do you need for this? Do you generally go for just one light to bring out the muscles' form better? How close is the box to her?

Asher

P.S. Do you also take pictures with your little Zeiss Contax G film camera at the same time?

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
The top outdoor photo was not quite full power. I do remember dialing it down some. The softbox was between 6 - 8 feet away from her.

This indoor was with the softbox approximately 4 feet away from her and not nearly full power. I also did another series where it was closer to 10 feet away. I will post one of those later.

To show "muscle" I will often use just one head and maybe a second just for accent. But for "muscle" shots I typically use just the reflector and/or a large silver umbrella. I am looking for more contrast and shadowing.

I had originally bought this 1x4 softbox for use as an accent light on a shoot a few years ago. But I happened to just try it out on another shoot a couple of months ago and really liked the results. And for moving around in a crowded room it is a lot easier to use than a 4x6 softbox or anything else that cannot be readily collapsed. Maybe I will get a 1x6 next.

I think that we sometimes spend too much time considering what we need for lighting instead of using what we have. I have a lot of lighting 'mistakes' that are just wonderful.

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Asher,

Actually I was going to take my Contax G1 with me on this shoot to actually use for another series on some trails. But last minute I decided that I was going to run out of time and weather. And I was right, we didn't finish shooting until 5:30 and we were all pretty worn out.

And I was short handed on this shoot, just myself and my makeup artist so really do any 'behind the scenes' photos that I like to do. But I do have some fun ones that maybe I can post.

Asher Kelman

Hi Ian,

Adding handheld informal shots with a small camera is a great expander of the sense of the scope of work involved as we see the environment of the shoot in less strict composition and poses.

There's even more value to having that small camera with you. I sometimes use a 35mm camera or even a humble digicam to snap pictures of the model before using a MF or LF where each shot counts more. It seems to relax the folk!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Ian,

Had this picture been merely described to me, I'd have had little interest. However, I like your pictures of this lady! Fury seems like a special friend and I look forward to meeting her one day! I enjoy the fact that although she is handsome and has a beautiful figure, she is not presented as someone's tittitillation or plaything. I'm amazed by the extensively different ways we can portray beautiful women. Frank Doorhoff's glamorously lit women leaping into the air, Doug Earle's nudes behind what seems like a confessional curtain or Nikolai's brazenly provovative young women, all present a different value of the fairer sex. Imagine we go from a grandmother who climbs mount Everest or tends to an infant to a friend imaged with a 100 year old soft-focus lens as if she's a movie star like Lauren Bacall!

Your own pictures are so different from anything we've had before in that the woman is strong, physically strong and shown for her physique and yet still is feminine. There's no fawning for nature, but everything she does defines her body more as a perfect muscular machine, rather than a sensual trap, the source of nurture or drama we have seen till now in OPF.

I'm only at the cusp of understanding this sport. Fury is the best such competitor I have seen in that she has not the hypertrophied cut of some bodybuilders that almost seem, as if the skin itself has been removed and we are looking at a person that has just gotten up and walked out out Frank Netter's brilliant colored Atlas of Human Anatomy.

412589YS7JL._SS500_.jpg

Photo Amazon.com

In this picture, she has a leather jacket over her shoulders, a heavy chain taught over her breasts with no submission to any simple sexual tease, (even with one soft shadow of the chain traversing her pants), rather to show that like the chain, she can hold her weight, guard her own person and is substantial and a partner worthy of respect, but on her equal terms.

JamieReed-044.jpg

The chain and her arms cover her nipples allowing her full breasts to be seen but not displaying any tawdry cheap thrills are available. This is not about the sex, but rather about the power of the women despite her being of the weaker sex. While, her career choice is not one I'd promote for my child, I do see her as an entirely positive role model. That surprises me. I never imagined that someone could present a partially naked woman in such a pose and I'd not brush it off as trivial. I would like to see how her picture is printed in B&W and whether you can get into the print all the detail of her hair, the highlights of the chain and the shading of the skin without it looking to hard. Is it over-sharpened for web display? To me, this is a parameter that must be decided for actual printing. What we see here I do not take as what I'd necessarily see in the print. Also what you might have printed last week would not be what you might print next week. A picture like this can take a long time to print right.

I'd love to photograph her, but with a soft portrait lens. I wonder if then the whole esthetic would remain or I'd just bring to the final image not the girl, the body builder but rather an ethereal image that does not reflect what she feels.

I look forward to seeing more of your work with her.

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

Last edited: