• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Question List for Client

Andrew Watson

I'm am tying to compile a list of questions when I first start the communication with a client for an architectural shoot (exterior and interior).

The basic ones i have are

- Client Contact info
- What direction does the front of the structure face
- On location contact for day of the shoot
- Make sure all lights are working / replaced

Anybody have some suggestions for additional questions and/or tips?

thanks!
Andrew

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm am tying to compile a list of questions when I first start the communication with a client for an architectural shoot (exterior and interior).

The basic ones i have are

- Client Contact info
- What direction does the front of the structure face
- On location contact for day of the shoot
- Make sure all lights are working / replaced

Anybody have some suggestions for additional questions and/or tips?

thanks!
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I have only shot architecture for my own pleasure and for fine art cards and for PR brochures for institutions. So my expertise is very limited indeed.

Still, there are a number of pointers I can give you.

for truly architectural shots the verticals must be exactly that and so you might have to have an ability to raise the lens with respect to the body. This is done by a T/S lens on the Canon or else by a LF, 4x5 camera with a rising front. Correction in PS is possible but the quality not so perfect as pixels are stretched

So it's important to find out what realm of photography they are after. Is this for a listing for a small building to be rented over the summer or for a corporate headquarters to be printed 10 feet high. What is their budget? What are the examples of the photography they had done for their company before? What did they like about it and where did it fall short?

Only by knowing this basic information can you have a possibility of planning this shoot, suceeding and getting a profit and return orders!

Asher

Last edited:

Michael Fontana

pro member
Andrew

even doing that job since about 20 years I alwith go and see the building, meet the contact person prior to the shooting. You have to discuss the shooting positions, etc with that person, it does not work otherwise:
a parking with trucks in the foreground? Workers on the street? Where to get a ladder? Contacting the neightbour house mananger...

Studing the plans, sun position, etc.
At this time of year, the sun - on northern hemisphere - is not even making 180 degs through the day so a lot of walls will have shadow all day....

When shooting, one has to concentrate on the building and the sunlight, moving people, etc; therefore all the other questions have to be resolved ahead...