• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

American Kestrel

Eric Diller

While out shooting the Eagles nest today I had an unexpected friend drop by. First Kestrel landed in some low lighting under a tree and the second decided he need that warmth from the sunset (a bit chilly today for Florida standards.
Very hard bird to get close to!

Used my 200mm-400mm F4 lens with a 1.4X T.C

PIC_3703.jpg

PIC_3714.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Eric,

I'm not an ornithologist, but aren't these rather young birds? There's only scant spotted markings on their chests!

From birds.cornell.edu:

"Perhaps the most colorful raptor in the world, the American Kestrel is the most common falcon in North America. It is found from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, and in towns as well as wild lands.

Description

Small hawk.
Rufous back and tail.
Two dark mustache marks on face.
Size: 22-31 cm (9-12 in)
Wingspan: 51-61 cm (20-24 in)
Weight: 80-165 g (2.82-5.82 ounces)"

Thanks for sharing. Presumably, these guys are smart enough to note the presence of the Eagles?

Asher

An unexpected, but obviously most welcome surprise! I love these beautiful little raptors. The first shot is very strong - wonderful perch and great background. I might play around with the cropping a bit, perhaps taking some off from the left and a little from the top, to avoid the bird being dead-center.

Well, Don or Eric, what about the age of these birds? Are they juvenile or mature?

Asher

I couldn't say. While I may know a thing or two about bird photography, I am quite weak in basic Ornithology. I've picked up a little knowledge as I've learned the photographic end of this, but real "birders" are the ones to ask this kind of question.

Anyone?

Eric Diller

I couldn't say. While I may know a thing or two about bird photography, I am quite weak in basic Ornithology. I've picked up a little knowledge as I've learned the photographic end of this, but real "birders" are the ones to ask this kind of question.

Anyone?

These are the typical size i see down here in Florida.

Mike Shimwell

Eric, these are a nice surprise. The colours great and the exposure looks excellent too. The subjects, well I'm not a birder, but they're very pretty.

Mike

Husain Alfraid

wow,, this is such a beautiful bird...the first one is pretty strong..as the bird poses on the top :).
it looks a little bit shaky (maybe) or soft (needs but sharpening). i can imagine how far this bird was from you...wow!

good job Eric :)