• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Helpful Hints/D.I.Y.: Tool to hold mirror tiles/reflectors etc.

Tim Armes

Hello,

Whenever I'm doing small object still life work I find that I'm having to constantly find ways to hold small mirrors or reflectors at the required angle when placed on the table.

I'm fed up of that now.

I popped down to the local DIY store to see if I could find a solution. The best idea I'd had before going was to find stiff hinge and glue one half to the tile, allowing me to angle it how I please by resting it on the other half.

However, none of the hinges were stiff enough....

Do any of you have a better solution?

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Do any of you have a better solution?

Depending on the size and complexity of the scene, I'd get creative with metal wire and bend it into supports for the reflectors/gobos. Depending on the surface you can tape the wire to the supporting 'floor' of the scene, and bend it into position.

Bart

I use a combination of things. I have one of those "third hand" things with articulated alligator clips on a heavy base that's good for holding small things.

I also have several 1/4" dowels with alligator clips glued on the end that I clamp in a standard grip head on a light stand.

The dowels are great for holding flags and gobos made of Cinefoil (black wrap) and for holding reflector cards and small mirrors.

I also have several "shot bags" (3" X 6" (8cm X 15cm) fabric bags full of BBs or shotgun pellets) that are handy for propping up things, like subjects or reflectors.

You can see some of these in use in my studio by visiting my blog and looking at the "Laud Sessions Pt 2" article.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Tim,
You've some excellent suggestions thus far. I, too, use a collection of C-clamps, alligator clamps, gaffers tape, ball bungees, ANYTHING. Kathy's suggestion of using a typist's arm and clamp is excellent for light stuff. Heck, I've even clamped stuff to a Luxo lamp.

Here in the U.S. we have an abundance of hobby-horse hardware stores, like Home Depot, that stock endless varieties of such "stuff". France, however, does not have a do-it-yourself tradition. Perhaps you should start a "Chateau Depot".

Tim Armes

Thanks for all the ideas!

For the mirror tiles the a piece of stiff wire taped to the back sounds perfect. Simple and practically free.

All your ideas sounds good though, so I'll pop down the DIY store and get myself sorted out.

As for DIY in France, in seems that the craze started to hit the country quite a few years before we arrive - there are plenty of stores now. That said, the UK stores still have a little more choice.

Tim

Erie Patsellis

pro member
I have found loc-line works well, it can be bought cheaply and has a million fittings available, with some adaptation you can make nearly any support you want.