• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wild Great Horned Owl yesterday.

Jaime Johnson

031409-GreatHornedOwl-04y.jpg

I not completely happy with these pictures. When we checked this old barn to see if the owls were there, the light was spectacular. Very rich evening sunshine just before the sun sets. We could see that we only had about 45 minutes of good light left. We ended up driving to three separate ranches before we found the owner. The owner was a great guy and we ended up talking for a half hour. I stomped it out to get back to the birds (several miles away), and got there just as the sun set. We decided to give it a try anyway.

The wind was blowing softly, and light was fading. This particular shot was taken hand held (no tripod) at ISO 400 / F7.1 / 1/60th of a second. I like this shot because it is one of a very few that the wind wasn’t blowing his horns sideways! We shot about 100 images – we got 5 or 6 that are reasonably sharp. The good part is that we now have permission and know the owls will tolerate us. So, hopefully we can get some good baby pictures in the weeks to come.

P.S. – Check out those talons… yikes. Also, his beak is covered with blood – must have just had dinner..

Eric Diller

Fantastic capture!! Love the focus on the eyes and the black back ground really awesome. Look forward to some baby pic's.