• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Suggestions on how this macro could have been done better.

Eric Snyder

Hi All,

Still trying to get the hang of using ALL of the SLR's controls correctly together. I had this shot yesterday and had a hell of a time getting the exposure *this* far along. What I'm wondering is if anyone has suggestions on how I might get this sort of shot to work better next time.

Canon 40D; Canon 100mm f/2.8; Tripod
ISO 800, 1/8 sec, f/16

I didn't want to open the aperture too much farther for fear of losing clarity on the 'lunch subject', but due to available light I couldn't quite figure out how to get a faster shutter in order to cancel out blur from the little guy's movement.

Lens was set to a 1:1 magnification, so I had the lens as close to the subject as I could and still have focus...So, do I have to use tubes in order to get something that small to fill more of the frame with this lens?

3366520692_083d911524.jpg

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,
-E

I use a 105mm macro lens most of the time on my Nikon. I have used it alone and with all sorts of combinations of extension tubes and teleconverters. I would just experiment and see what happens for you. Tubes would definitely help you get closer. I also have a macro flash system that helps a lot in getting some good, extremely close up shots. That is something else to consider. Of course the subject, such as your spider, will really decide just how close he will allow you to get.

Personally I would rather see a different view, from a lower angle looking at the subject rather than straight down from the top. I understand that is difficult sometimes but something to try if at all possible. Of course you will have the shallow or narrow depth of field issues inherent in this type of photography but that's just the way it is. Doing that may also help differentiate the spider from the background. In this image, it is hard to see the spider clearly because it resembles the background so closely.

James Newman

Eric Snyder

Thanks James!

I definitely agree on the different angle aspect, I just couldn't figure that one out with the distance from the ground to the subject...my tripod can't GET that low :) Although, now that you have me thinking about it...I might have been able to get more light AND some perspective if I'd shot at about 3/4 to the right...hmmm.

What are you using for a macro flash system? I've been considering the MT-24EX from Canon, but have also heard that simply using a 430/580 EX on an off-shoe flash cord can be used for similar results.

Luckily, in respect to distance tolerances of the subject, one of my absolute favorite things about these little guys is that they are REMARKABLY tolerant of things. You pretty much have to be within a couple of cm before they even visibly react. :)

Regarding the contrast issue...that was part of the issue I had in metering and focusing on this particular subject. I completely understand what you're saying there.

-Eric S.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Macro flash is definitely a good idea. It allows you to light from the sides and one version has two independent arms adjust the angle of one side versus the other. You can also look at 3rd party macro flashes.

Some guys have the flash extended all the way towards the object plane. Think of using white card or black card as needed to complete the modeling of the object. Remember to get the head, you might need to really get to that level or lower and that might mean that you are close to the wall. Dont worry about not centering the spider, just that you have enough of it with it's world for your picture.

Asher

Thanks James!

I definitely agree on the different angle aspect, I just couldn't figure that one out with the distance from the ground to the subject...my tripod can't GET that low :) Although, now that you have me thinking about it...I might have been able to get more light AND some perspective if I'd shot at about 3/4 to the right...hmmm.

What are you using for a macro flash system? I've been considering the MT-24EX from Canon, but have also heard that simply using a 430/580 EX on an off-shoe flash cord can be used for similar results.

Luckily, in respect to distance tolerances of the subject, one of my absolute favorite things about these little guys is that they are REMARKABLY tolerant of things. You pretty much have to be within a couple of cm before they even visibly react. :)

Regarding the contrast issue...that was part of the issue I had in metering and focusing on this particular subject. I completely understand what you're saying there.

-Eric S.

I shoot Nikon so I can't tell you the Canon equivelent but I am sure there is probably something similar. Mine was a kit that came with a SU-800 wireless speedlight commander that fits into the camera hot shoe. There are also two SB-R200 speedlights. These are just the small flash units triggered by the commander. There are rings of different diameters for different size lenses and these rings just screw into the threads on the ends of the lens. Then the flash units attach to the ring. They are adjustable and can be moved anywhere, 360 degrees, around the lens barrel. You can actually have up to 8 of these flash units on the ring at once. They can also be placed on stands in different locations and used the same way. I use them that way a lot of times for flower shots and things. There are also other attachments, flexible clips, colored gels, etc. that can also be applied. I think you will find that with something like this or even just a regular flash off camera, you will find a lot more options for you to exercise in your macro shooting. Here are the pieces I am talking about. In the top photo, I actually have the TC and extension tubes on my old D40 with the 105mm macro lens
James Newman

macrorig.jpg

_DSC0775.jpg

Eric Snyder

Awesome, thanks guys!

James, that flash unit you show there is extremely similar to the one for Canon I've been considering. Thanks for the info and pics!