• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: The door to salvation or to damnation? It's your choice!

Cem_Usakligil

cloister1.jpg

Cheers,

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

Oh I love this shot-wonderful

what I see is "an open door inside another door to be opened"
as if " when one door closes another opens"

also reminds me of Alice in Wonderland"
all the different metaphoric doors and adventures she went into"

or another idea "The Secrectly Quiet Door to Her Lover"

I would know that if I came upon this "through the door feeling" I would be excited to open it- but I love surprises- good surprise not bad- eek
really nice shot!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

The Garlgoyles have chewed the stone. This is not such a safe place, I must tell you. There's light outside. I'd be concerned whether there's freedom out there or that's where prisoners are hanged or shot.

Of course, when one looks at anything, one has to bring one's own reference manual, which is likely missing a lot!

The picture is impressive and worthy because it allows, even requires us to contemplate meaning. So this way we're bringing as much to the picture as you the photographer are bringing to us.

This photograph belongs with the one from the chapel, (with the stone basin and light from above), here, that you posted from the Château des Baux-de-Provence, (in Southern France), again worn with the events of centuries and host to unspeakable and generous behavior.

baptize3.jpg

Photo Cem Usakligil The Basin

You have an eye for such scenes where we cannot be passive.

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

Oh I love this shot-wonderful

what I see is "an open door inside another door to be opened"
as if " when one door closes another opens"

also reminds me of Alice in Wonderland"
all the different metaphoric doors and adventures she went into"

or another idea "The Secrectly Quiet Door to Her Lover"

I would know that if I came upon this "through the door feeling" I would be excited to open it- but I love surprises- good surprise not bad- eek
really nice shot!

Charlotte-
Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for your kind comments. You have understood what has drawn me to making this picture quite well although the bit about "the secret door to her lover" isn't something which I thought about, LOL.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

...The picture is impressive and worthy because it allows, even requires us to contemplate meaning. So this way we're bringing as much to the picture as you the photographer are bringing to us.
Then I was able to accomplish my purpose here.

...This photograph belongs with the one from the chapel, (with the stone basin and light from above), here, that you posted from the Château des Baux-de-Provence, (in Southern France), again worn with the events of centuries and host to unspeakable and generous behavior.

You have an eye for such scenes where we cannot be passive.
Thanks again. I am attracted to these situations like a moth to a lamp on a lazy summer night out on the porch. Just reclining on a chair, watching the nights skies, occasionally interrupted by the sound of crickets and the moths bumping into the lamp, making buzzing sounds :).

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
cellar1.jpg

Cheers,

These three pictures work well together. They all carry an idea of time lived and a restricted space where we are interested as to what is outside. I like this complex theme as it invites us, the viewer to be attentive to our own ideas and bring them into these small worlds.

With an image of beauty, like a rose, there are many more poems, songs, paintings we can think of. With these old portals, however, there are less associations with being agreeable and attractive. Portals seem more serious. We see division of life to "in and out", "up and down", "with you and with me". As such it is an instrument that invites our own participation in thought of existential consequences. Not only that, there is a communal aspect to this. When we see another person lost in such a world, we feel that we might perhaps be bonded somehow in this activity.

Here's a different take on the possibilities of portals. Here we have a picture i recently was introduced to at the Photo LA Exhibition, Jan 9-11, 2009 in Santa Monica. It was made by Bill Brandt in 1936 in London, U.K. The building is not dead. However, we see this image of a woman on the inside of a world where she, herself exists outside of that high ranking upper class world while serving their privileged owners.

Brandt%20YE1278.jpg

Photo, Lee Gallery, Vintage Silver Print, 9x7.75 inches, "Maid at Window"

I hope that you will continue your study in this great theme according to your own ideas. Don't take too long! Even if I'm the only one that responds to your post, I hope that will be sufficient. It takes a while for other folks to catch up!

Asher

Last edited:

fahim mohammed

I, too, hadn't seen the ' Door' which I agree is beautifully photographed. I get feelings of nostalgia
seeing these pics. I do not know why?

Cem, another good capture as usual.