• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Vienna memories

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Impressive, Valentin.

This is a good space and pleasing pano experience. Handsome architecture. Is this architect followed in Austria?

Why not add people? That way there is some detail to look at when one zooms in.

Could you let us know you camera setup and the workflow. Also, Valentin, what choices do you have at the end for showing it. How flexible is the choice of what viewer to use after your workflow? I ask this in order to consider being able to view images within OPF.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

BTW, do you clone out yourself and the tripod or have I missed your reflections?

Valentin Arfire

Hi Asher

Thank you for the kind comments.

Bank Austria
Julius Tandler-Platz 3,
1090 Wien

I hope I am not reflecting - at the time I searched carefully for the station point so the post processing would be not too intensive.

I used 350 + 8 mm Sigma and took 6 horizontal plus the zenith;braketted - so 21 (I had the nadir too but decided the problems it solves is small compared to the trouble it would raise, so I left the last 3 of nadir) - raw of course and after CA correction tif.

PTGUI to stitch the images. The result was an equirectangular projection that still had the tripod. I also influenced the light besides the enfuse I forceably reduced the highlights and boost the shadows.

Pano2VR was used to split the equirectangular into cubefaces as well as exporting the flash result afterwards. On the down cubeface I patched the tripod.

there are several presentation available:
-the DevalVR could present mov files , cubefaces and equirectangulars, it is teh best player with a smooth movement and remarkable behavious; the drawback is that the final user needs to install the plug in in the internet browser and it runs for now only on windows.
-quicktime is mastering all movs - is common on windows and mac but lately it loses the influence
-a java player now mostly obsolete - would require from the visitor some knowledge to install and configure the java.
-the flash, with a huge potential due to its spread and interactivity. Is the only one I can see the same on the 3 OS I have installed here on my macbook: Leopard, XP and Ubuntu.

thanks again for the interest

Asher Kelman

Valentin,

I like this cubic view. Can you raise the center of the view so it allows one to see the entire Opera building without tilting and distorting the verticals?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Valentin,

This was excellent. Tell me why you don't use a longer lens? Is 21 images your limit for practicality? How long does it take to render in PTGUI and what's the file size and BIT depth?

I wish there was a way to raise the center of rotation so we could see the tops of the buildings without a slope.

I's like a tad more detail on the people. Still, as it is, it's very interesting and there is a lot to examine and enjoy.

Asher

Valentin Arfire

hi Asher
thank you for the interest.
of course the longer the focal, the larger the size is.
and of course it would be loading with more trouble and slow

the wonderful Dorin panoramas are something like 50000x25000 pixel and require a huge amount of time and patience, I don't have. My largest one is the one with the graffiti from Barcelona hill and ... is about 16 times smaller. Dorin shot with 50 mm (equivalent of 80mm on ff) while mine was with approx 14.5 mm.

Another issue is the one regarding the starting station and its height.
-the natural approach would be to make panoramas from a high pole maybe with a robotic arm.
-the second is a flash trick that forces the verticals to remain vertical even though ... they couldn't be that vertical...
both of these ways are time consuming and would interfere with my current projects.
For now, given the limited time and skills, I can't get into gigapixel panoramas; maybe in future I will. Also I am very interested in aerian photography - maybe someday I'll have something to show.

thank you again for the interest and very kind words

Valentin Arfire

Hi Asher,

the text is
GLAUBST DU FIGENTLICH, DASS AN DEM HAUSE
DEREINST AUF EINER MARMORTAFEL
ZU LESEN SEIN WIRD?:
"HIER ENTHULITS SICH AM 24 JULI 1895
DEM DR. SIGM. FREUD
DAS GEHEIMNIS DES TRAUMES"
DIE AUSSICHTEN SIND BIS JETZ HIEFUR GERING

----

DO YOU SUPPOSE THAT SOME DAY
A MARBLE TABLET WILL BE PLACED ON THE HOUSE
INSCRIBED WITH THESE WORDS:
"IN THIS HOUSE ON JULY 24th, 1895,
THE SECRET OF DREAMS WAS REVEALED TO
DR.SIGM. FREUS."

AT THIS MOMENT I SEE LITTLE PROSPECT OF IT
(SIGMUND FREUS AN WILHELM FLIESS BELLE VUE. 12 JUNI 1900)

SIGMUND FREUD GESELLSCHAFT

My - not original - idea was that some apparently minor things have dramatically change the way people understand the dreams.
In the end I think as humans think know much more, they are plainly wrong and arrogant.

Gary Ayala

Wow ... extremely impressive ... must have required a ton of memory and a very powerful computer to attain the result.

Gary

Amazing pictures, like being there. Actually, when I am through with the office, I will go to one of the sites and turn around myself to replicate the impression! Thanks for the inspiration and brightening up my day.
What else have you got?

Congratulations, Christoph