• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Help with 5DMkII Please!

janet Smith

pro member
Hello everyone, I finally got my new 5DMkII delivered this morning but am having terrible trouble getting it to communicate with my PC, I already have the 20D and 5D which I will continue to use, I was told by Canon not to use the software CD which came with the camera but to download Canon Utility update from their website, which didn't work, then they advised downloading zoombrowser which also has not worked, the camera and my PC still won't talk to each other, I think the driver for the 5DMkII is still missing any advice please, I'm getting stressed and confused!

I think I might be best to delete all Canon software and reinstall everything, using the CD's that came with the camera, any opinions/advice please.

Thank you for any help you can offer.....

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Janet
Ah! getting the new baby and being unable to communicate with it …*I would hate that!

At least I guess you can shoot the sunset (get ready, you're almost ontime!) and feed your computer with a CF card reader…

For the rest, sorry can't help, I don't have a 5DII nor Windows machine…

On a Mac I would carefully uninstall the sw (including all prefs) and reinstall from scratch with the CD then the update…
As a tip, I found that with Canon sw, it is not a good idea to move them from the place they were installed by the installer…

Don' worry, you'll sort it out, I'm sure someone around here will give you better advices than mine, except that watch that sunset and report it to us !

I've seen Cem 5DII and shots made with it … beautifull!

Ron Morse

Hi Janet.

I installed from the CD that came with it, then went to canons website and downloaded the latest version of everything. Worked fine for me.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Janet.

I installed from the CD that came with it, then went to canons website and downloaded the latest version of everything. Worked fine for me.

Hi Torsten & Ron

Yes I installed everything Canon advised me to, my son has just arrived, he's a programmer with a bank so I'm hoping he'll sort it out for me, we going to delete everything and re-install, hopefully that will resolve the issues - thank you for your advice - I'll let you know if we sort it out - fingers crossed.....

Jan,
Are you planning to shoot tethered? or need to record some Dust Delete data? If not, you don't need any of the Canon software (that is at least if you have an alternative method of processing RAW files, like ACR, PM, etc.).
And if all you need is to get the images off the camera - use the card reader, much simpler solution.
HTH

janet Smith

pro member
And if all you need is to get the images off the camera - use the card reader, much simpler solution.
HTH

Hello Nik

Thank you for your advice, but I think I'm sorted now, we've deleted everything, reinstalled, and I think all three cameras are working now, if anything goes wrong I'll follow your advice and use the card reader! Off to bed now to read the manual! start serious shooting tomorrow.....

Thank you for your help everyone.....

Mike Shimwell

Indeed, what will you do with all that resolution. You will have a great time in Scotland and may your panos will be astounding:)

Mike

janet Smith

pro member
Indeed, what will you do with all that resolution. You will have a great time in Scotland and may your panos will be astounding:)

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm really looking forward to using it in Scotland, I don't think Paul's going to see me without the camera in front of my face! Fingers crossed for good light, and astounding panos - I hope too ;-)

Thank you Rachel, I can't wait to see what my "new baby" will do....