• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

City Pano with Space for Text (and secrets): View from Walt Disney Concert Hall, L.A.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have been looking at the space where the new Grand Avenue Los Angeles City City Development will be built with a grand plaza going from the Los Angeles City Hall, (The white tower on the left) to all the way to the Music Center complex, (Walt Disney concert Hall, Colburn School, Museum of Contemporary Art, Taper Auditorium for theater and the Ahmanson for Opera, Ballet and more.

Pano_MG_0609CityHallLATIMESandCOLBURN.jpg

One of the gems of the new development will be bespoke upscale apartments by Frank Gehry, no less! It's on hold because of the economic downturn. I'd love to have a suite if anyone is feeling generous, LOL!

Asher

I'll look for some little interesting vignettes in the distant crevices of the pano!

Asher Kelman

Isn't it a cylindrical pano? Therfore °bent°

In some panos, AutoPano Pro, for some reason obscure to me at least, grays out "Planar" and one only has the choice of Spherical or Cylindrical projections in APP 1.3x. The APP 1.4 wont work on my G5 so I am going to try that on my MacBook Pro and iMac which are Intel chip based.

Here's another example with a spherical projection:

Pano_MG_0640THAYERCOURTYARD_Spherical.jpg

© Asher Kelman Courtyard with Spherical Stitch and curved horizontal lines!​

I wish I could set lines to be straight! One should be able to specify which lines are not curved! I believe that's possible in the planar projection.

How do you correct that in APP or other software?

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Asher, then you 're > about 110 degs, and APP assumes, that you will have it as a cylinder projection.

PTGui will keep it, but higher than 110 degs, the image starts to become fliffy, really.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Michael,
Maybe I'll shoot this with large format! Asher

It will not be different than planar; planar is like a lens....
it's in the nature of the physics... not a question of buttons.

In planar (APP) = rectilinear Projection of 180 degs (and higher) paralell lines will meet in infinity....

the only thing you can do is to stitch and cheat in post.
PTGui does it when stitching:
*The corner stretching effect can be reduced by using horizontal and/or vertical compression: click on Projection Settings in the Panorama Editor and move the compression sliders to the right. By compressing the rectilinear view it is possible to create panoramas up to 180 x 180 degrees without extreme distortion. Horizontal and vertical lines are still preserved as straight but diagonal lines become curved when compression is used*

Asher Kelman

Asher, you've been posting a lot more of your work lately. I'm really enjoying seeing what you're doing.

Rachel,

Thanks for noticing! It's often a matter of consent. Some of my pictures are internal for an organization. Others are of children who's parents make restrictions. Flowers and building can't object and street photography is often fine. It depends on the work I'm doing at the time.

deleted - the pon doesn't gets through in english.
Michael,

We're international! Give us the pun, LOL!

Asher