• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Multiple flash pops; just one exposure

Sean Baker

Hi. I'm Sean. And I'm very new. If this isn't in the right place, please someone let me know.

I shot the image below at Eastern State Penitentiary a month or two ago using a Canon 5D mounted on... well, on a cheap lightstand because I was too lazy to go get the tripod. Shutter was 20s and triggered by hand. I asked the model to move throughout the room to different positions as if she were possessed (think "The Ring", etc.) and as she arrived in each new location I would manually fire a handheld, gridded Vivitar 283 with a yellow gel @ ~1/32. We did a number of takes; this being my favorite among them, though we were a bit rushed as it was quite cold indoors.

Post processing consisted of curves, color balancing, and more curves. Texture from a wall in the prison was overlayed in PS to add grit (those pesky 20s exposures just lack it).

I am new and I am learning, so any feedback you may have will be helpful and appreciated.

Straight from LR:

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
First Sean,

I have to see the larger images!

Sean Baker said:
Hi. I'm Sean. And I'm very new.

You are very welcome here! I like your initiative, but taking a lady to the Eastern State Penitentiary is an interesting first date! Did they turn out the lights for you?

3340494285_4eb2841d79_o.jpg

Sean Baker Penitentiary-Demented As Captured

Sean Baker said:
Post processing consisted of curves, color balancing, and more curves. Texture from a wall in the prison was overlayed in PS to add grit (those pesky 20s exposures just lack it).

3341574706_dcaa42e5c1_o.jpg

Sean Baker Penitentiary-Demented After Lightroom

I'd love to know the story of how you came up with this idea. Was it a photography class project or something else? What was in your mind before you started and how did it change if at all during the shooting and afterwards?

Then, I'll try to give my reactions. For now, straight off, I like what I see, but I have just sorted out which is the before and after image and I need to give it more thought. I do like it!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Sean Baker

First Sean,

I have to see the larger images!

Sorry; didn't know what the max res was here and didn't want to offend with large images. Noted.

You are very welcome here! I like your initiative, but taking a lady to the Eastern State Penitentiary is an interesting first date! Did they turn out the lights for you?

I'd love to know the story of how you came up with this idea. Was it a photography class project or something else? What was in your mind before you started and how did it change if at all during the shooting and afterwards?

Then, I'll try to give my reactions. For now, straight off, I like what I see, but I have just sorted out which is the before and after image and I need to give it more thought. I do like it!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

You don't ask much, eh? :) So, background: All of this was shot as part of a Model Mayhem event which my wife (also a photographer) and I attended. We're pure hobbyists, about 1-1.5yrs into playing with photography as we get the time. Getting ready to go, we watched and thought back to all the classic scary movies we'd seen for inspiration. I had the idea of trying to create a photographic interpretation of scenes from "The Grudge" or "The Ring" where the zombified individual is approaching the viewer, shuttering in and out of view, in a clearly surreal situation. A few test shots at home determined that the camera was capable of dropping ISO + increasing aperture adequately to balance a 20-30s exposure with a few sporadic fires of a small flash without an ND filter.

On the day of, my vision for the photograph didn't change very much in the course of shooting it. The greatest hurdles were that (1) This was an entirely new genre / style for me, (2) It was our first time working with the model - who also knew that this was a new style for us, and (3) I was having difficulty explaining the concept of the image to the model - the idea of multiple photos in one didn't convey easily. That certainly increased the number of takes which we had to do before we had an image I was happy with, but in hindsight I realize that this was a shot which, given the lack of need for ambient light, I could have done much more easily later in the day when a greater rapport and working relationship had been established.

I hope that answers your questions; if not please ask again. The feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sean