• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My Portraits with the Canon Digital Rebel

merelenface.jpg

Jan

Daniel Buck

I think the blur/darkening on the edges of her hair is a bit strange looking, any particular reason it was done?

Exposure on her skin seems a tad bit hot as well.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Perfect is nobody, but thanks.

Jan
Daniel Buck (a recognised professionnal photographer) does give you valuable insights and appropriate comments about one of your pictures.
Daniel does kindly offer you his experience, your answer is more than "borderline" and unpolite.

I never want to be unpolite when people give me some comments. He asked me why I do the hair on this way, he probably dornt like the sharpening of the hair, he is professional and I am only semi. But the bigger you make this picture, the better and natural it will be. I sold this picture in 40 x 70 size as a poster an got immediately 4 orders.
2 from the family of the model and two from my house-doctor, for hanging it up in the waiting-room and in the conversation-room, therfore I often get confused of the bad critiques on my work, now you understand my comments.
Jan

Clayton Lofgren

It would be interesting to have a more traditional retouch pro work on this and have a group of people critique the two results. I like most of your work, but sometimes wonder if I would like it more with less proccessing.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jan,

You have photographed an attractive person and the image is immediately enjoyable. The exposure is agreeable and the color is satisfactory, so why should it not sell? Here in OPF, we consider all of us on separate journeys to deliver images in better ways and to enjoy each other's progress.

To that end we give each other feedback. While your presentation has indeed gotten sales, it does not mean you have produced the best image that is there in the digital file. Daniel's very short and precise critique is most instructive.

I ask,

1. "What function does the blur to the edge of the hair serve?"

2. "Is it attractive to have skin imperfections/blemishes sharpened so that they are so obvious on the forehead, top lip, teeth and chin, for example?"

That your picture gets compliments is not surprising. I, myself find her sympathetic. However, this image is still not presented as well as it could be. To this end, Daniel gave his comment. Your work would, IMHO, jump in quality by parsimoniously (like a miser :) ) using sharpen, blur and darkening and instead deal with skin texture.

In kndness,

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jan,

I think you might mention when the picture was made, it seems like August 2006, as these I think were processed some time ago in Picasa 2 and not your current effort. Is that correct?

That would mean that newer work might have less severe sharpening applied. While Picasa is a great free program, serious work can benefit from the local adaptions possible with Photoshop. It's not even necessary to get CS4. CS2 has everything you would need. Perhaps you can get a genuine CS2 on eBay at a good price.

Asher

Asher Kelman

This picture of Merel is so much finer. I like the preservation of the interface between the hair and the background and that her skin is not so severely sharpened. Merel is a pretty woman and of course she will come out well. Still the gentler treatment helps make the picture not only better technically but pleasent too.

I see this is done with Photoshop CS instead of Picasa 2. Did you process this recently? What sharpen settings do you happen to use in such a picture.

Thanks for sharing this improved image. A good step!

Asher

BTW, Do you know how to use masks? If so, the forehead could be not sharpened so as to lessen the bringing out of the appearance of rough skin texture especially on her left. lighting from the side also brings that out. A broad light source close to her will deal with that too.

Asher Kelman

Risks of Posterization: how to avoid! A lesson in point!

38-1.jpg

Bujin​

Here, Jan, the process you have used for developing your image of Bujin gives a posterized effect. Is this what you planned?

This happens when chunks of data at intervals along the gray scale are fused, or lumped together. This can also be the result of the technique use in removing blemishes. So it then appears as if the image is made of pewter metal hammered with a small hammer to give lots of adjacent flat faces. That can be an artisitc effect but generally, as here, it damages the picture. Sharpening then accentuates this artifact.

To prevent this, work in Adobe RGB at 16 BIT from RAW and be very frugal in changes and use of filters. Only go to 8 BIT for printing or for posting on the web and then change the color space to sRGB.

Asher

I just took advantage of your B&W image to point to others who may not realize the risks of posterization from excessive image processing and then sharpening and especially when the file is processed all the way in 8BIT!

Asher Kelman

Jan,

I want to keep all these portraits in one place! So I moved everything here. (Many posts just push down other competing threads and I know you wouldn't intend to do that). This is your space for portraits of anyone.

Maybe you could add a few words to introduce each of the new pictures from now on when you add to this growing collection!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Ah..now I realize..these are portraits of people that you took with your Canon Digital Rebel camera.
Silly me.

Best.