• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: One of the catch of last photo-shoot…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Brief from client:
Show how one can enjoy our "product"…

Cécile. MUA: herself

_45R6044.jpg

Shot in the Ile du Frioul (Marseille)

70-200 2.8 IS @ 180 - ISO 200 - 1/1000s - ƒ 2.8

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Thans Cem, James and Janet.

Janet, I have to admit that all the guys from the team behind me didn't feel really calm… ;-)

Brief from client:

Hi Nicolas,

You succeeded, as far as I'm concerned. Hope the client is also happy.

It's obviously hard to get enough of 'the product' in the image, and at the same time show the enjoyment. This image balances both aspects quite well.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nicolas,

Bravo! "Mission accomplished!" You are a renaissance man too!

..and you did it without Bart's T/S lens or Jim Galli's LF treasures.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Thans Cem, James and Janet.

Janet, I have to admit that all the guys from the team behind me didn't feel really calm… ;-)

Hi Nic,

Great shot, as always, and lovely lovely light - did you use flash or was this setting sun and balanced sky light? Your colour balance is beautiful.

Pity about the team behind you - it could almost be a grab shot:) (or perhaps the team is why grab shots don't often look like this!).

The only tension in the shot for me is that she is not actually leaning on anything and I wondr if she can be truly relaxed without some support for her back?

Mike

nicolas claris

Thanks all for the good words… always appreciated of course…

The light was absolutely natural, no flash, no strobe, just our beautifull Sun at sunset aduring a Mistral day.
Mistral is a wind from North-West, very dry, it brings a very particular clear, haze free light that everyone has seen in the Med will never forget.
This is the light of my birthland…

Yes the client is very happy, this shot is among some others that I'll post later during the week-end, we had 2 marvelous days for shooting, you may imagine how many I have to process…

@Mike:
She's actually (well on the pic) leaning her back on a life line that you may guess at mid height of the top one and deck (belox her arm), so she was really relaxed. BTW she is not a pro model, but did very well for all candid shots…

PS the "ugly" team behind me did drop her into te water some minutes later as it was one of the very last shot of the day… Got fun ! (and the pics of it…)

Charlotte Thompson

Nicolas

what I love most about the shot is the quality of reflection caught on the right side
the stainless steel is also shown beautifully-great job and presentation!
now if I was the model on that boat you definitely would see mucho happiness coming out of me-
dancing and twirling all over that thing- oh yeah!

Charlotte-

nicolas claris

now if I was the model on that boat you definitely would see mucho happiness coming out of me-
dancing and twirling all over that thing- oh yeah!

Charlotte-

On this one I wished to convey the calm and relaxing moment that one can feel at sunset.

BUT

I got that dancing one too ! but in a different configuration (boat sailing). I'll post it later… :-D

Rachel Foster

I hate it.

No, really I love it. I just wanted someone for once to not like a Claris photo. But alas..ain't gonna happen is it?

(My sense of humor is at times..piquant-wanna-be).

nicolas claris

I hate it.

No, really I love it. I just wanted someone for once to not like a Claris photo. But alas..ain't gonna happen is it?

(My sense of humor is at times..piquant-wanna-be).

Ok, for you Rachel!

same settings (except focal @ 200mm), just before I asked for a "little" smile.

I wonder if I don't prefer that version…

What do you folk think ?

_45R6040.jpg

This is 4 frames before the 1st posted.

Asher Kelman

Confidently using the observer's brain to drive a point through understatement!

Both are lovely shots, Nicolas. I learn much from you.
Hi Rachel, my humorous friend,

I'm not sure whether Nicolas "got" your humor as he seems to have taken your inverse complement literally. "Lovely" as you describe these two pictures is a word I've not heard for decades, although in London I heard it a lot; in Los Angeles, never!

I don't find these pictures "lovely" or anything cuddly like that. The new picture in comparison is less effective, it does not push things to the limit.

Now lets look at the brief given to Nicolas Claris' Bordeaux design company, M&N Claris Organization:

Brief from client:

_45R6044.jpg

Nicolas claris In the Ile du Frioul (Marseille)

Nicolas,

This first picture is so very strong because we have a major boat which we know is expensive and a girl brim-full with joy. This unique combination showing an understatement of the cause of her satisfaction draws attention to why she is content! It now becomes a guide to buying. If you own such a boat, it will give you such pleasure and BTW, there might be a beautiful girl enjoying it with you. Thus, you have edged up the social value of acquiring just this particular class of boats.

To me, the success of this original picture, (with the radiant joy), confirms the value of limited focus to empower the user to work out rank. Usually, blur lowers relevance. Here, however, you brilliantly used this almost dismissive lack of attention to construction, design and finish details to make a real boat into a realized dream! Brilliant and "Mission Accomplished!

I have seen, I think, enough of your work in the past 3 years to suggest that indeed this particular picture rises to a new level. Such evolution in creative work motivates me in my own photography!

You really did make my week!

Asher

Rachel Foster

"A girl brim-full with joy" is exactly what makes the image lovely. I can think of nothing more pleasing, more beautiful, than the experience of joy.

nicolas claris

Thank you Asher for this long post.

When running such concept, one must be aware that this kind of advertising is also seen by women. If you tend to let beleive that you can get the girl with the boat, you get one ennemy per family! and we know that women -in boating marktet- if they aren't the person who buys, are able to ruin the "buying act".
So in the same time the model must suggest "envy" but ALSO let women indentifying themselves to the model…
Romantic but not sexy!
This ONE of the reason I like the 2nd version too.
I also like it as it is much softer hence romantic. Then, thanks to the boat and the use you have of it, you may live a romance…
But what a smile on the 1st one!

One of our strong feeling about marketing, is that we have to show merely what the user do we the product instead of the product itself. Hence again the narrow DOF and blur…

Asher Kelman

So in the same time the model must suggest "envy" but ALSO let women indentifying themselves to the model…
Romantic but not sexy!
[/QUOTE]
Nicolas,

I feel that this picture serves this purpose equally for femme et monsieur!

_45R6044.jpg

Why do I say that? Well the first picture shows a level of real joy that's believable and does not look forced. The woman looks strong, independent and secure in herself. She is not in the bikini presented as a toy or plaything. No, she's there with her own air of panache, she has "arrived"!

Similarly, for the man, he has the company of such a fine woman. That elevates both of them!

By contrast the other picture which you call softer, is not powerful enough to clinch the deal for me.

Asher

Rachel Foster

Strange, sex appeal never entered my mind. I saw no "romance" other than oneself and the sea. It would seem Nicolas' goal was achieved.

Asher Kelman

Inserting "trust" into your picture!

Hi Nicolas,

I wrote a critique not to make you feel happy, although I hope my writing does that, but because there's an important image perception lesson of less is more. Here in your first picture you trust the intelligence of the viewer. In a way, you say to him/her, you will understand my meaning. This unique tool of trust, the glue of society, creates intimacy, makes us feel great and wins us over. It's like handing someone your drink and saying, "Taste this, tell me what you think". It's a very personal gesture. It implies so many good things, as I have just done in this example!

Asher

nicolas claris

Asher
I did enjoy your comments!
My reply was to explain why I do like also the second version (which in fact was shot earlier by a few seconds). This second pic is even more showing that less is more…

But don't take it wrong, I do like also the 1st one…

Rachel Foster

No "fermez votre bouche?" Lol.

We were in London a couple of years ago and took the Chunnel train to Paris for a day. The phrase of the day was "Stifle at the Eiffel!" By the way, we found Parisians to be completely friendly and helpful, even the concierge at the Left Bank hotel where I stopped to ask where we could find an ATM. We didn't meet any of the American-stereotyped French folk at all.

Back to the image: I think the goal was achieved because the model is attractive but not overtly seductive. The power of understatement is far too often forgotten in advertising and sex is so commonly exploited as a sales tool that we become indifferent to it.

nicolas claris

No "fermez votre bouche?" Lol.

The real wording in French is much less… polite!
Though it happens to me (so rarely! ;-) to say it , I just can't write it…

We were in London a couple of years ago and took the Chunnel train to Paris for a day. The phrase of the day was "Stifle at the Eiffel!" By the way, we found Parisians to be completely friendly and helpful, even the concierge at the Left Bank hotel where I stopped to ask where we could find an ATM. We didn't meet any of the American-stereotyped French folk at all.

Glad to hear that!

"Chunnel train" do you mean the Shuttle?

Back to the image: I think the goal was achieved because the model is attractive but not overtly seductive. The power of understatement is far too often forgotten in advertising and sex is so commonly exploited as a sales tool that we become indifferent to it.

A strong respect of mine for women does forbid such uses…