• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

HIV/AIDS Support Group

Jerome Love

I got to spend some time this week getting to know and photographing an HIV/AIDS Support Group in one of the townships here. You can read about my experience (as always) on my blog. Lit with a DIY beauty dish and umbrella bareflash. See my flickr for more.

3600704478_77e0ea42c7.jpg

3600704348_36478a94ab.jpg

3600704008_edb785cb26.jpg

3599892597_ab210163e1.jpg

C&C welcome!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Jerome
well done!

I really like the 1st pict, very powerfull. I'd maybe like to see it more severely cropped to his face, and posted larger here (say 1000 pix wide). Possible?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I wonder? If this was shown in the USA of a local HIV/AIDS support group people would ask if releases were obtained. There are major restrictions in disclosing identities of folk at such centers. Any breach of this wall of confidentiality is thought to intrude upon people's rights. Publication of identities might erode to privacy. So the net result, it's feared, might for a condition that might limit equal opportunity for example in being hired for a job or getting a promotion.

We have always licensed ourselves to picture the homeless in the the affluent Western World and extend this to "developing" communities elsewhere. However, these people may be poor but are not stricken with HIV/AIDS. Should this make a difference?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here it is.

3601533564_d7dc66f1a3_o.jpg

Amazing, here I agree with Nicolas. The "severely cropped face is more intimate and removes the institutional feeling of the room.

Jerome,

Let me answer my own rhetorical question on the correctness of photographing and publishing this clinic and these people. I believe that had there been open support groups in the beginning and Jerome Loves to photograph them and no ban or identifying sick people and their partners at risk then the tragedy of the HIV/AIDS epidemic would have been very limited. All the public health measures that have been used so successfully against tuberculosis and syphilis would have worked with HIV/AIDS too. As it is, it was made a crime to report the truth! As a result, millions of people have been hurt and thousands have been lost.

Asher

Jerome Love

To answer your question, yes verbal releases were obtained and taped. You may find it interesting that they ask that these photos may not be shown in print in the Soweto area. I publish only first names and don't even take down surnames. Keep in mind though Asher, this is NOT a clinic. This is simply a gathering of people who support each other, there is no legal organization.

I do understand what you are saying though, there is A LOT of restriction on photography here, I spent over 3 hours with these people before I even asked to pick up a camera. When I started shooting I was already considered a friend.

Rachel Foster

What beautiful faces. There is something in the faces, the expressions they wear, that is magnificent. I would love to shoot such portraits.

Jerome Love

It's been quite the experience. It's funny the lady above, I shot one frame. That was it, the expression locked it for me :D. Photographic high for the month :D