• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The "ART" of noise.....

Usually in the digital world, it's all about avoiding having the noise in the first place, or how to deal with it in the post processing stage......

But.....

How can one use it creatively - like we used to in the good old film days when grain could be your friend if you got it right.......

Can someone maybe point me to examples of Digitally captured images where the noise was deliberately used creatively and not added artificially during post processing ?

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Bride

I used the noise on a photo of a bride coming into the santuary while still in the hall before entry. I loved the expression and pose, but I shot it in JPG and it was before I was shooting RAW..It won't show here but I printed it on canvas and everyone loves it and wants to know what texture I used for it.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Kathy
I guess I understand that you can't show that image here (model privacy) but what about a crop for us to see your ending result?

Mike Shimwell

This one combines noise and blur:) - GX100 400iso at night. My print is 16 inches square on matt paper.

2432291457_eb09eab62c_o.jpg

And this one is in the dark at an aquarium - same camera and settings

2433766082_d07af02695_o.jpg

Mike

Works for me

The first one especially would just not be the same without the noise.
Second one has me thinking a bit - not sure if the noise adds any value.

Daniel Buck

as far as I'm concerned, digital noise/"grain" isn't as graceful as film grain. For me, the less digital noise, the better :) If I want a bit of grain, then I'll apply some scanned film grain, or a good grain simulation.

Mike Shimwell

By and large I would agree Daniel, but there are still times it can be useful and in mono images it's much less objectionable than colour noise. One thing I really don't like is the big clumpy dark patches you get when the raw converter tries to sort out what's going on with something with lots of colour noise - and noise reduction usually makes it worse.

Mike

Johann,

There is a related discussion here. I remember deliberately cranking up the ISO to introduce grain as I thought it would enhance the image.

prograin-1.jpg

Also, photographer "Ctein" wrote a fairly technical article over at The Online Photographer that I found quite revealing about the role of grain in photography. You can find it here.

Daniel Buck

By and large I would agree Daniel, but there are still times it can be useful and in mono images it's much less objectionable than colour noise. One thing I really don't like is the big clumpy dark patches you get when the raw converter tries to sort out what's going on with something with lots of colour noise - and noise reduction usually makes it worse.

Mike

indeed, the luminance noise looks better than the chroma noise for digital