• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Blackberry blossoms

Ron Morse

Blackberry blossoms.
I waited on these until I thought the light was just right this morning.

5DMII
CZJ 35mm f/2.4

mg2784.jpg

Ron Morse

Yep, I like that Ron.

Are the whites slightly blue?

Mike

Thanks Mike. You could be right. The light was changing fast. I checked the first few of 10 or so shots and the white balance was right on. After that I didn't check any more. I might go back and take a look just out of curiosity.

Charlotte Thompson

Ron

really nice!
brings back a memory-
My Arabian horse and I used to eat these in her pasture all Summer and sometimes before I would ride her I would smash the berry in my hand and do a hand print on her hindquarter to make her an Indian horse-

good job on the flower!

Charlotte-

Ron Morse

Thanks Charlotte.

Our horses killed everything in the pasture except the grass. They ate the bark off the trees all the way around, then the trees died.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Ron

I like your beautifully sharp blackberry flowers, hope to see photographs of the blackberries when they arrive. I'll have a look down the bottom of my garden and see if I have any yet, my husband's favourite thing is blackberry and apple crumble.....

StuartRae

Hi Ron,

Thanks for posting these - sharp and nicely exposed. WRT the colour, I can't see an obvious blue cast, although the ColorZilla add-on for Firefox shows that the blue channel is consistently higher than red and green in the petals. No matter, looks OK to me.

You just beat me to it. I was looking at some blackberry flowers yesterday on a perfect summer evening, but today the wind and rain has battered them. I'll look at yours instead.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Blackberry blossoms.
I waited on these until I thought the light was just right this morning.

5DMII
CZJ 35mm f/2.4

mg2784.jpg

These flowers have a bigger appearance than they really are. The sepals open up as if they are petals too and perhaps act as an aid to attracting pollinators or else as a platform. The blooms seem to be very bulky and I guess that attracts more insects. The white petals are indeed vert slightly more rich in blue, but perhaps that's how they are meant to be.

The petals are anyway not very tough and seem to go brown easily if I remember right. So I guess they are pollinated very fast.

asher

StuartRae

Hi Ron,

I dashed out between showers this afternoon to catch the last intact blossom, complete with a little visitor.

bramble.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Jim Galli

Yep, I like that Ron.

Are the whites slightly blue?

Mike

The demise of Kodachrome makes this question even more pertinent. Were they shot in blue light? ie. was it overcast outside? If so, how much correction of nature should we do. The beauty of the old Kodachrome palette, the gold standard that even digital is built on, is that it gave you exactly what was there. So a generation later must everything be corrected to 5500 degrees at all times? I'm not picking on you Mike, just using your question for a discussion jumping off place.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The demise of Kodachrome makes this question even more pertinent. Were they shot in blue light? ie. was it overcast outside? If so, how much correction of nature should we do. The beauty of the old Kodachrome palette, the gold standard that even digital is built on, is that it gave you exactly what was there. So a generation later must everything be corrected to 5500 degrees at all times? I'm not picking on you Mike, just using your question for a discussion jumping off place.

Jim,

For sure, mother nature doesn't use a Minolta color meter and nor did the other great masters of painting. It's not perfection we should seek, rather the chips, edges and nuanced lines and form on things that make them unique. We can do this better in B&W because the seductions and diversion of color leave us looking at composition, form and lines and we even see these in a different balance. Use of a filter again re-assigns importance to things.

Post 124 here is an example of where even looking through imperfect windows takes us to the essence of the shapes sometimes better than so called "true colors".

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Jim

I'm with you on this:) I almost never correct whites to white as it seem to me to throw the whole mood away, so much of the mood in colour is built on the colour of the ambient light, or the mix of ambients. I like working with a mix of daylight and tungsten - I still smile when I see the warmth of being indoors or a cold blue day outside:)

Back to the original picture, I played a round for a few minutes in PS and even after warming slightly, the blues were still higher than reg and green in the petals, so my gut reaction wasn't to go 'all the way'.

Oh, I just bought 5 rolls of Kodachrome for old times sake.

Cheers

Mike

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Ron

Here are a couple of shots of the first blackberry flowers of the season from my garden, Blackberry Crumble or Apple & Blackberry pie to follow roundabout October ish..... (birds and squirrels permitting!)

IMG_2062cleanSS1.jpg

IMG_2098cleanSSv1.jpg

Ron Morse

Very nice Jan. I'm not sure which one I like best.

I love blackberrys but unfortunately my wife hates them. So I end up with blackberrys with milk and a little sugar.

StuartRae

Too breezy today for really sharp shots, so for interest only:

Some of my blackberry blossoms are pink.

IMG_3987-01.jpg

The first blackberries are already forming........

IMG_3995-01.jpg

.....helped by the efforts of visiting bees.

IMG_3999-01.jpg

And now it's off to fresh fields and pastures new, along with some tiny pasengers.

IMG_3973-02.jpg

Regards,

Stuart