• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Some iron pics...

Rod Snaith

As promised, some of the first pics I took with my D60. In other words, some of the first pics I've ever taken with a DSLR.

Old Iron
3651798139_5a3b93789a_b.jpg

Old Yeller
3651748927_20c6ab5819_b.jpg

Goat
3651891387_52321e1d92_o.jpg

Z
3651891155_70568a7432.jpg

Feel free to C&C. The Goat emblem needs some sharpening, and I wish I could have driven that yellow panel van somewhere nice to take some shots...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What a good start! The picture is a little big for my iMac screen and is in need of some free space around it to enjoy it to the max.

3651798139_5a3b93789a_b.jpg

Rod Snaith Old Iron

I love it. not exactly a learned critique, but for now, that suffices! It deserves a place in Photography As Art. Could you post it there just about 85% of its size, so we can see it separate from the rest?

3651748927_20c6ab5819_b.jpg

Rod Snaith Old Yeller

The second picture has a story for sure! What is the background to all that car and all that paint! Is this the end result of years of restoration? I'd love to see the before pictures!! Also, would you bother to remove the other car or else put this car instead on a nice beach?

In the last one, might you be persuaded to bring out the details in the reflection:

3651891155_70568a7432.jpg

Rod Snaith Z

Maybe it's shown to the max already, but perhaps adding an S-curve or perhaps just a curves later set to multiply and about 2% or less might make the details of the reflection more obvious. However, it's fine as it is! Just I'd like to see how it would be.

Thanks for sharing. That D60 is a fine camera!

Asher

Rod Snaith

I love it. not exactly a learned critique, but for now, that suffices! It deserves a place in Photography As Art. Could you post it there just about 85% of its size, so we can see it separate from the rest?

Thanks for the kind words. I've dropped it down to 850 tall and reposted as requested.

The second picture has a story for sure! What is the background to all that car and all that paint! Is this the end result of years of restoration? I'd love to see the before pictures!! Also, would you bother to remove the other car or else put this car instead on a nice beach?

And if I could tell you any of its background, I certainly would. Our little town of Carrot River had a family day with a car show (and hula dancers, an oddity in a Northern Saskatchewan farming/ranching town), and I didn't see the owner so I could talk to him about it. About all I know is what I can see: A large pail of yellow paint with a big Dodge kit motor stuffed in it. :)

As for location, a nice beach with a long pier in the background. Or just outside of Regina, there is an area called Sherwood Forest which was located in the Qu'Appelle Valley. There is a long winding gravel road that starts at the top of the valley, with a nothing in distance but bald old prairie. I think I'd like to start there, and then move the car further down into the valley, where the trees take over from the prairie...

In the last one, might you be persuaded to bring out the details in the reflection:

<chuckle> I did these in such a hurry, and was focused on sharpening the emblem, that I completely missed the reflection of the VW. :) I'll see what I can photoshop, and let you know. By the same token, anyone can feel free to edit my shots with an eye to improving. All I ask is that you let me know what you've done, so I can re-create and learn.

Thanks for sharing. That D60 is a fine camera!

I really like that little camera. Its everything I'd hoped for, especially the punchy colors in the preset modes. I've managed some candid shots of my kids at play, and its a relief to know that I don't have to worry about what settings I had goofed with the day before if I want to grab a quick snapshot.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Rod

Rachel Foster

Interesting subject choices. I've gotten locked into looking for spectacular scenics and have forgotten how other sorts of photos can be compelling.