• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

7.6 seconds at f / 11, ISO 200

Mirror locked up, cable release. Happy 4th!

bostwick-lake-firework.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent, spectacular and splendid! The 7.6 seconds was the time you got when using AV or you just guessed it?

Congrats!

Asher

I was using a cable release, pressing and holding it down based on what content I wanted in the image.

It was surprising to me how much leeway I had for the exposure, but the dark sky and transient nature of the light from the fireworks meant that as long as my aperture and ISO were set in the ballpark, the exposure length didn't matter (too much).

This was the first time I made a serious attempt to capture fireworks. Post-processing was almost as much fun as shooting! The images didn't react to the controls like most other images.

Well, good question. The honest answer is I read a suggestion about it online. So, thats the way I did it.

Now that you've asked I have occasion to analyze the technique.

I doubt it contributed to the sharpness of the lines because 1) i wasn't using a long telephoto, 2) vibrations from the mirror would occur only during the fist part of the exposure, 3) i suppose the variations in the lines caused by the fireworks themselves would mask any blur caused by the vibrations

So... next time I suppose I will try it w/o mirror lock up!?

Ed.