• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Mason

Wendy Thurman

I'm not sure about this one- I think the subject is interesting but the almost monochromatic nature of the image is a bit bothersome. It falls on its face in B&W.

At any rate, this is construction in this part of the world- done by hand by skilled workers with very little in the way of tools. No levels, squares, or what-have-you and yet the final product is quite good. Probably better than this photograph :)

20090714_0157.jpg

Wendy

Steve Robinson

Wendy, I'm impressed with your images under such trying conditions. This image is "flat" meaning without contrast which is why it has no "snap" or "pop." It won't work in B&W because the colors are so similar and will render the same shade of gray. You might be able to add some contrast, vibrance, and saturation with post processing which might improve this. Although I'm not an expert I'd be happy to modify your image if you wish.

Wendy Thurman

Wendy, I'm impressed with your images under such trying conditions. This image is "flat" meaning without contrast which is why it has no "snap" or "pop." It won't work in B&W because the colors are so similar and will render the same shade of gray. You might be able to add some contrast, vibrance, and saturation with post processing which might improve this. Although I'm not an expert I'd be happy to modify your image if you wish.

Steve-

Please do! I did very little work in NX2- just brought out the mason's face, which was shadowed. I'm afraid I need more time with the software packages available in order to get more out of the images...

Wendy

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Wendy,

Since you've kindly allowed us to attempt at some pp on this image, here are my versions in color and bw. However, I am not sure whether my versions are any improvement or not. Tonality wise? Perhaps. Total picture improvement? I doubt...

wt_edit_CU_col.jpg

wt_edit_CU_bw.jpg

Cheers,

Wendy Thurman

Cem-

Your color version is, I think, more striking that the original. This is a tough one as everything is more or less the same color (hence the B&W failure). Thanks for taking the time to work on it- I am afraid this is one of those "might-have-been" images but each flop is a learning experience...

Wendy

Wendy Thurman

Wendy,

I wouldn't give up on this one without seeing the raw file...hopefully, there is one?

I shoot everything in .nef RAW out of my D-700. This one is 14-bit and it should stand up to some serious work. For what it's worth, I shoot the images, look through the results, convert the "postables" to jpeg then link to them through Photobucket.

I am considering purchasing CS4 but don't know if that is a worthwhile purchase given that I have NX2 and Nikon's files don't seem to do as well with Photoshop work (or so I read). I am not experienced enough with digital post-processing to make an informed judgment despite all the web research I do. I nearly sprang for the software a few days ago but bought an 85/1.4 instead. Lordy, lordy.

If anyone wants a stab at the raw file, let me know via private email and I'll send it over. It's a 15MB file.

Wendy

Steve Robinson

Hi Wendy,

Here's my versions of your image. As I said I'm not an expert but I think you'll like these. It also looks like there may be some lens flare which shows up on the mason's face.

602858853_7PgLE-O.jpg

602858743_CwmUF-O.jpg