• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Child in Timeless Thought

Charlotte Thompson

I took this shot a few nights ago in the back yard while Amity was in the grass playing
I found her thinking in this close up as I cropped severly- interesting to see-

DSC_0162.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte,

An immediate response is that your journey towards the composition and away from PS filters (and I like them for some of my work, I admit), is refreshing. It's like you have taken a veil of the child. I can say "Hi!" to her now. This isd so much better.

I do not like so much of nostril as an opening to peer into, just my idiocy, but there you are. Also why not crop off that lower 0.5 inch and get rid of the over-exposed blown out no detail, useless and distracting white or else, please show us a wider image and then her pretty dress!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Very nice portrait!

I wonder why you didn't shoot a close-up at first, so you wouln't have to "severely crop" it…

Thight framing, sometimes does push directly into the matter! Sometimes it is risky but at the end you get real good shots…

Being able to choose to shoot wide or tight is one of the photographer's privilege…

For this one, if you had it originally full frame, you could do large worthy print!

Maybe, maybe, you could have moved around her a bit to get her nostrils less "frontal". Maybe…

Charlotte Thompson

Asher and Nicolas

thank you both so much for your ideas and wonderful comments
I did take a wide shot-I do that on a lot of my work so I have the cropping to make what I want to see as the "catch" portrait- it seems to work most of the time- cropping is an art to be learned over and over again isn't it-
I have left another shot with a side view taken at the same time- she was rolling around in the grass so I was moving fast really all over the place- the second shot seems a bit soft-or some blur but it was almost dark by then-dunno really but I do have a treasure trove of her-I did give another portrait shot of her I did some weeks ago to the parents 8x10-they were speechless and in love with my work- and the grandparents thought they haven't seen such a beautiful picture of Amity ever- I was very pleased-

DSC_0146-2.jpg

DSC_0132-1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very nice portrait!

I wonder why you didn't shoot a close-up at first, so you wouln't have to "severely crop" it…

Thight framing, sometimes does push directly into the matter! Sometimes it is risky but at the end you get real good shots…

Here, I agree, mostly. I've responded in further here :)

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

what a great advice- and reply to Nicolas
I always try for a distant shot as to crop for portraits for now
I love unfixed expressions-
I want to see what is truly inside as much as I can-
I am fairly new to photography for sure but not without work or lack of passion
there are so many combinations working within different arts as I do- you well know
and to bring them together is a challenge
and what a beautiful challenge-thank you both for your excellent help it gives me much to think about!

Charlotte-