• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Lunch

StuartRae

350D, Sigma 180mm macro, f16, 1/200, ISO 100, built-in flash.

lunch.jpg

350D, Sigma 180mm macro, f16, 1/200, ISO 100, built-in flash.

Yummy (if you're a spider that is).

Good capture, with the spider probably swinging in it's web, I know how difficult that is. If only the lighting were easier to bring to the opposite side, and then use a bit of fill light to complement, to get a bit more of a 3D effect ...

I also seem to shoot spiders from the bottom side, must find a way to get them on the other side of the web ;-)

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yummy (if you're a spider that is).

Good capture, with the spider probably swinging in it's web, I know how difficult that is. If only the lighting were easier to bring to the opposite side, and then use a bit of fill light to complement, to get a bit more of a 3D effect ...

I also seem to shoot spiders from the bottom side, must find a way to get them on the other side of the web ;-)
Perhaps one can develop the prey in its silk cocoon separately from the spider and then selectively paint with dodge and burn to create that 3D effect whilst separately making the spider stand out dominant using an S curve and then super-sharpenning it.

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Asher,
Thanks for the suggestions. It was windy and the light wasn't good. All I could do was lock the shutter speed at 1/200 by using the built-in flash and hope for the best. Agreed that a bit of careful PP might improve things.

Hi Bart,
I also seem to shoot spiders from the bottom side, must find a way to get them on the other side of the web
I have the same problem myself, plus they're usually upside down so it's difficult to shoot them front on. After this one had finished wrapping his (more likely her) lunch he retreated to the shelter of a leaf and I got this shot of his back. A bit bigger and it'd make a nice rug.

IMG_4066-01-crop.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

After this one had finished wrapping his (more likely her) lunch he retreated to the shelter of a leaf and I got this shot of his back. A bit bigger and it'd make a nice rug.

Great capture. Nature is marvelous, isn't it?!
That's what I like about macro, it opens up a whole new universe/cosmos.

Bart