• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Strawberry Milkshake

Johan Combrink

I have absent fromt he forum for a long time, but some thing keep you too busy to enjoy the things you really like.

In my spare time, I have be learning many new techniques, or at least trying to understand them a llittle better. One thing that has always taken my fancy has been liquid, and so I have now started to try and work this into my photography, and create works that are more unique. Here are two images so far.

lensrental_co_za.jpg

A real lemon of a shot.
creation-9923_web.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Johan,

I have absent fromt he forum for a long time, but some thing keep you too busy to enjoy the things you really like.

In my spare time, I have be learning many new techniques, or at least trying to understand them a llittle better. One thing that has always taken my fancy has been liquid, and so I have now started to try and work this into my photography, and create works that are more unique. Here are two images so far.

Wow! (Especially number 1.)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This first is fun with the milk moving in every direction to slam into a strawberry.

lensrental_co_za.jpg

This image is more focussed and just one lemon is the target.

creation-9923_web.jpg

I like the lighting especially in the second. One issue I have is the distraction of the logo Creation Photography which should be to one side and not interfere.

I too would love to hear about your technique and where you are going with this.

Asher

BTW, have you also tried a white background, yes even for milk and perhaps the milk is a little blue or else it's likely hat he hotel has never color correced their PC!

Johan Combrink

Thank you for all the kind comments. These idea's are not originally mine, but over 4 months have been looking at other awesome photographers work, and been trying to put my own "creativeness" into it. There are place they teach you how to shoot like this, but for 4000-5000 euro's I cannot afford it. I then decided to try figure it out myself and learn the harder way, so this might or might not be a good techinique that I use.

I use 2 speedlights powered down to about 1/64 as this gives you a very short flash duration, and the ability to freeze the milk/water or what ever you need to do.

I use 3 pocket wizards which help trigger the speedlights and a wired trigger to trigger the camera, and at the same time throw milk at the hanging strawberries....yeah many shots get taken for sure.

The first image is actually a compilation of 4 images, just to give it a little more life i feel. The blue tinge is on purpose to again really bring some more colour into the shot. Perhaps not ideal for everyone.

I liked the second image, I just personally felt it needs a little more light on the right.

I also have not yet tried a white background, and would really like to do so. I will investigate and try.

Again thanks for the feedback

The first image is actually a compilation of 4 images, just to give it a little more life i feel. The blue tinge is on purpose to again really bring some more colour into the shot. Perhaps not ideal for everyone.

I liked the second image, I just personally felt it needs a little more light on the right.

I also have not yet tried a white background, and would really like to do so. I will investigate and try.

Hi Johan,

Very nice results, and I can only imagine that the amount of time needed for a few successful results is huge (also for cleaning up all the time). The result, a dynamic still life, is worth the effort. Perhaps hanging/compositing the strawberries at slightly different heights/angles will enhance the suggestion of being tossed up in the air.

Cheers,
Bart

Johan Combrink

Thanks for the comments Bart. I like your idea about the different heights and will give it a go.

I was working on some more again the other night. I realise the logo is not cool, but to make many images for posting is not as easy as just one, well time wise :D

martini_strawberry.jpg

Thanks for the comments Bart. I like your idea about the different heights and will give it a go.

I was working on some more again the other night. I realise the logo is not cool, but to make many images for posting is not as easy as just one, well time wise :D

martini_strawberry.jpg

Hi Johan,

You're having fun, making a mess ;-)

I think the composited image would be stronger if only one glass had a splash and the others have a strawberry in it (or a strawberry suspended in mid air). Just something to try and see if it works.

Bart

Charles House

These are really just incredible. I'm really wondering how you would even go about doing something like this, and I can't seem to even devise where to begin.