• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lady bug and flower

I was playing with a new to me lens/bellows combination.
The lens is a Rodenstock APO-Rodengon-D 75mm f4 with bellows mounted on a Canon 1ds MkIII.
This was at f22. Cropped to 8x10 format from the 24x36 full frame. I need to play a little more with this combination. I just put a focusing rail on the lens/bellows and this should help. Moving the tripod around is to much of a chore. Also need to try the the Live view feature.

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was playing with a new to me lens/bellows combination.
The lens is a Rodenstock APO-Rodengon-D 75mm f4 with bellows mounted on a Canon 1ds MkIII.
This was at f22. Cropped to 8x10 format from the 24x36 full frame. I need to play a little more with this combination. I just put a focusing rail on the lens/bellows and this should help. Moving the tripod around is to much of a chore. Also need to try the the Live view feature.

original.jpg

Duke Beattie Ladybug and Flower

Duke,

This is enterprising of you! Can we see a snapshot of your setup and a parts list? What made you think of using this setup and from whence did the Rodenstock lens arrive to your compendium? Now as to the title, I'd have thought it would be Flower with Ladybug, as the bug happens to be there and the picture is not taken from any level of the bug itself. Still, I'm impressed and this has an interesting potential. Where do you think you can go with it as far as magnification is concerned?

Asher

Last edited:
Here are a couple of quick shots of the set up.
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

I bought the lens and bellows together at the universities (Wash. State U.) surplus store. It had a Nikon T-mount and I just put a Canon on. It's a much longer bellow than I had so I thought it might be useful. I am not sure who was using it on campus or for what.
If you go to the Rodenstock site and look at the lens info, they have it listed as a copy/macro lens optimized for 1 to 1 macro. It says it's for slide copy or internegative work also.
As far as the magnification with the existing set up this is with the bellows all the way out... Because the bellows is so long and takes up a lot of room when compressed, even at the full in position I can't get any place near infinity. In fact the 'in' photo below is only about 8 or 10 inches from the ruler. Oh the ruler is a mm scale. The macro rail does make the whole thing easier to focus.
medium.jpg

and this is with it all the way in
medium.jpg

Asher Kelman

Duke,

I like your set up. What is the board the Rodenstock mounted on? Is it a bellows designed or adapted for boards?

Asher

There is an adapter that fits into the front plate. there are thumb screws that hold the adapter in place and lets you rotate the lens to get the f-stop scale on top.

Asher Kelman

I'm wondering how it works being designed for a Nikon. I expect that there are no automatic functions for Canon lenses and anyway with a LF lens, it doesn't matter. So what are the advantages of using this lens as opposed to say another lens or a 50 or 100 mm Canon Macro lens directly on the camera?

I'm asking as I'm toying with the idea of a similar setup with the Sony A7r.

Do you have other examples and how are you lighting your subjects.

Asher