• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative Process: livepanoramas

Valentin Arfire

hello friends,

here is the result of a tour I took through Timisoara - I used Dorin's technology of stitchless pictures - http://www.livepanoramas.com/event/tokina10p5/flash.html

for windows users there is a devalvr version
http://www.livepanoramas.com/event/tokina10p5/DevalVR.html

the idea is the pictures can be automatically processed and in a short time they will be exposed on the internet; Frankly, I prefer to go out and improve my photographic skills instead of spending time with the processing of the pictures on the computer, so we'll promote a much cheaper alternative to the classical panoramas.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Valentin,

The pano seems fine to me. I wouldn't have notice it was done in a different way. What are the drawbacks?

Could you explain Dorin's method and give a link to it?

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Valentin Arfire

thank you Asher for your kind words,

as Dorin put it "Stitchless panoramas are panoramas made from six shoots with a fisheye lens. As opposed to spherical panoramas, in stitchless panoramas photos are not stitched, so all the time you'll see a real photo. There could be some "jumps" when another photo is shown, depending on equipment used."

for details please visit http://www.livepanoramas.com/about.html

The drawback is that those images must be reduced as size to maximum; while is common to see 6000x3000 pixels or 1500 pixel cubeface size, with reasonable time of loading for a clasic panorama, the 1200 pixel is an acceptable size for a good internet connection today; a larger panorama would request much more patience with livepanoramas.

The comparison with a clasical stitched panorama is defavourable to the stitchless one: can't be the same size and since it has no photoshop processing, the original pictures must be more carefuly made - but they are automatically projected and uploaded in matter of minutes.

But since it is automatic and very fast, it can offer documentary references when the beneficiary is interested in fast accurate results. Or prefer to see a preview before deciding a final version.

For our tests we used a MSI cheap laptop and a vodafone mobile connection: the panoramas were online in 15-20 minutes.

Michael Fontana

pro member
as Dorin put it "Stitchless panoramas are panoramas made from six shoots with a fisheye lens. As opposed to spherical panoramas, in stitchless panoramas photos are not stitched, so all the time you'll see a real photo. There could be some "jumps" when another photo is shown, depending on equipment used."
The drawback is that those images must be reduced as size to maximum; while is common to see 6000x3000 pixels or 1500 pixel cubeface size, with reasonable time of loading for a clasic panorama, the 1200 pixel is an acceptable size for a good internet connection today; a larger panorama would request much more patience with livepanoramas.

For our tests we used a MSI cheap laptop and a vodafone mobile connection: the panoramas were online in 15-20 minutes.

That's interesting, Valentine!
If I understand it correctly, the player of krpano is reading the 6 single shots and calculating them into a sphere for visualisation.... therefore the size can't be to big. Is that right or a speculation, only?

Valentin Arfire

unfortunately not...
when seeing the livepanorama you actually open 30 cubefaces instead of regular 6, so in order to have an acceptable loading time they must be really small - with the immersivity price to pay; the important aspects that are unbeatable to livepanoramas are their documentary value given by no processing of the pictures and the time economy

the commercial version will appear soon ; photographers will only have to upload their pictures and in minutes the visitors may see a livepanorama.