• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Potter

Wendy Thurman

These were done in Istalif, Afghanistan, which is famous for its pottery. It's a beautiful little mountainside town an hour's drive outside of Kabul. This gentleman graciously assented to do some work on Friday, which is normally a day off here in Afghanistan. While it is not apparent from the images, the potter's wheel is foot-powered. I have not post-processed these images; they could use some work but I felt they might be interesting as shot.

Wendy

_DSC1070.jpg

_DSC1058.jpg

_DSC1054.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Wendy,

These were done in Istalif, Afghanistan, which is famous for its pottery. It's a beautiful little mountainside town an hour's drive outside of Kabul. This gentleman graciously assented to do some work on Friday, which is normally a day off here in Afghanistan. While it is not apparent from the images, the potter's wheel is foot-powered. I have not post-processed these images; they could use some work but I felt they might be interesting as shot.
Lovely images.

I especially enjoy the potter's expression. He is extremely attentive to his work, and reveals that he enjoys doing so.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Wendy Thurman

Hi, Wendy,

Lovely images.

I especially enjoy the potter's expression. He is extremely attentive to his work, and reveals that he enjoys doing so.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Thank you, Doug. I hoped I might capture that attentiveness and the enjoyment of a thing well done.

I am seriously considering spending a year among these people after I am done with this work nonsense.

Wendy

fahim mohammed

Wendy, may I take this opportunity to add a couple of pics of these simple folk..

in prayer...

p975488402.jpg

having tea..

p830334191.jpg

simple folk, simple things...

Eid Greetings to all.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Wendy

_DSC1070.jpg

_DSC1058.jpg

_DSC1054.jpg

Wendy,

I'm reminded by these photographs that there is an order of things. We respect the potter's hands molding the form of his clay. That's we do with our children. Once formed, character is remarkably stable.

The only end for a pot is to eventually break. However, while it lasts, it lasts. That's very much like the life of man. There's an order to things.

Asher