• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Passage of time

Cem_Usakligil

This is for my dear friend Asher, for being there.

passageoftime1.jpg

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Cem,

great stuff - a lovely picture and shades, and a precious gift. Interesting that the path up towards the light remains barred.

Where is this?

Mike

Hi Cem,

This is a great work :
- colors, yellow and sweet pink, are delicate and fine...
- geometry is very powerfull, graphical effect is really strong

Cedric.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Cem
every single part of this picture is interesting, as the whole is of course.

Something -can't tell what- is bent in this image. Like space?

janet Smith

pro member
I like this very much and could see it working well in B&W as well, I think the shadows of the bars on the window would become more prominent in black and white.

Just a suggestion (hope you don't mind) I think the image is stronger with about 1.5cm cropped from the bottom.

Cem_Usakligil

Dear Mike, Cedric and Nicolas,

First of all, thanks a lot for your kind comments. I wasn't sure whether others than myself would see something special in this picture. Rest assured, I personally value this picture a lot and consider it a major part of my portals series as Asher calls them. Otherwise I would not post it as a token of gratitude to Asher for his unwavering friendship and support.

...Where is this?
It is a place which has played a key role in shaping much of our history. It used the be the power focal point of the Ottoman Empire. It is one of the main arteries of Harem in Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, namely the Golden Road. Harem is the place from where the Sultans have ruled this huge Empire between 1460 and 1860 and where the Mother Sultans have dictated the politics from behind the scenes. So this narrow but busy passageway has been the witness of many intricacies, murders, complots, feasts, matters of life and death on a daily basis for more than 400 years. So look at it now, how different it is when not infested by the usual hordes of tourists. To me, this is a personification of the passage of time and more.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

I like this very much and could see it working well in B&W as well, I think the shadows of the bars on the window would become more prominent in black and white.

Just a suggestion (hope you don't mind) I think the image is stronger with about 1.5cm cropped from the bottom.
Thanks Jan for the kind suggestion, of course I don't mind! The point is that I kind of like the geometrical distribution at the bottom since the wall intersects the lower left corner. Also, I like the structure of the worn out stones at the bottom part so I would not like to crop those out. B&W is not an option since the patina of colours is what makes the picture to my mind, like Cedric also wrote. But thanks again, much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is for my dear friend Asher, for being there.

passageoftime1.jpg

Cheers,

This is so interesting to me, Cem, as it is a rather social expression of timelessness. It fascinates me how Cedric Massoulier shows us pictures that challenge time and space whereas you share picture of traversing time as if you embed into the fibers of each of your portal images a "time machine". Cedric is the philosopher who deconstructs of place in the space time continuum whhile and you count the passage of souls.

and I? I just take time!

The construction of this image couldn't likely come from Bart van der Wolf, Michael Fontana or Nicolas Claris as they would surely deliver all lines in their proper place. Did nicolas ever show slanted horizons? Did michael miss and on wall edge? Unlikely. You picture here of the stairs is utterly tordu, of key, distorted by open like a flower when it's ripe and the scent is there. This is a picture of a place that was well used and open to people. It has a very human feel to it and continues your connection of timeless pathways to portals. we traverse time itself with your so many varied structures. These are definitely the paths of many interesting souls, each with his or her own story. It's valuable that you continue to express your idea in new ways like this.

Asher

nicolas claris

Reading Cem's replies and Asher's post, I feel comfortable with my previous sight of this image.
But I would like to correct it…
Yes there's something bent. Maybe not the space, but the image shows the bent of time.
Here, wht is not orthogonal is not a fault or an easy pseudo creative artefact, it, in a very subtle manner, demonstrates the "bentness", the "courbure du temps".
It is not "tordu" at all.
It is a very good exemple of what can be achieved when one breaks the rules with an intent. And be assured that Cem knows the rules!

Il n'y a pas de hasard dans cette photo!!!

Thanks Cem for sharing…

Rachel Foster

This is beautiful, Cem. I need a while to identify and name the emotion it evokes in me. I'm touched by the kindness and sense of deep respect and mutual affection the gesture ("for Asher") conveys. Both the image and the presentation are just lovely.

My immediate reaction to this is "L'Shana Tova" to all.

Edited to add: I'm struggling to find the words to say this properly. The past few weeks have been somewhat intense emotionally for me (not in a bad way, just very, very intense). Seeing this has brought given me a small, perhaps fleeting, but very real sense of peace. I thank you both, Cem and Asher, for that gift.

Cem_Usakligil

....Edited to add: I'm struggling to find the words to say this properly. The past few weeks have been somewhat intense emotionally for me (not in a bad way, just very, very intense). Seeing this has brought given me a small, perhaps fleeting, but very real sense of peace. I thank you both, Cem and Asher, for that gift.
Hi Rachel,

Trust me; I "grok" (comprehend totally) what you are describing above. I, too, have been troubled a lot recently and by processing and posting this image I have found a much needed sense of belonging again.

Cheers,

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

"The Stairway to Heaven" totally is what I see
the capture of the golden light light and shadows have good balance
the feel of something old but with a feather lightness to it

Charlotte-

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

"The Stairway to Heaven" totally is what I see
the capture of the golden light light and shadows have good balance
the feel of something old but with a feather lightness to it

Charlotte-
Hi Charlotte,

Funny you should mention "the stairway to heaven" since it has been the title of another picture I have shown more than a year ago. You may not remember it after such a long time so see this thread please.

Thanks for your reply, appreciated.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Of course Cem after the above post I did revisit this stairway to "another" heaven:

stairway1.jpg

Yes. Different times… different heaven… photographically spoken, I do prefer the later.
It's much more dense.

Thanks again for sharing.