• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Absolute best books on the topic, bar none

Rachel Foster

I'm soliciting personal opinion (meaning everyone's answer is the *right* answer) on the best books on the following topics. My only caveat is that they are in English, since my only other linguistic fluency is Psychobabble.

Photoshop CS4

Canon 5d II

Books under any heading that will help me break out of the stagnant pool I'm floundering in.

All suggestions appreciated. I realize these questions have been addressed previously, but I also know there may be newer books published or different perspectives now.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm soliciting personal opinion (meaning everyone's answer is the *right* answer) on the best books on the following topics. My only caveat is that they are in English, since my only other linguistic fluency is Psychobabble.

Photoshop CS4

Canon 5d II

Books under any heading that will help me break out of the stagnant pool I'm floundering in.
Hi Rachel,

CS4 Book: Why? It's a vast black hole to get lost in. It's nothing to do with photography or excellence and not needed for your work, IMHO! Do you have CS2 or CS? These are the most advanced you likely need. I do most of my quick work with PS 7.0 and then with CS2 for advanced work. It has the wonderful Shadow/Highlight tool. I admit, do have CS4 and it can take advantage of a super graphics card if you have it it and it has a few extra gimmicks but for routine work on an ordinary computer, I don't see anything more than CS2 being needed.

What is it that appears to be slowing your work? Why do you need a book? PS CS4 is too deep a tool and one can get lost in it, like trying to learn off by heart the name of every galaxy. So what?

Make a list of what you are missing for what you need. Then ask about these issues. Likely there are free tutorials online. Search here for PS Tutorials, all the needed links are available. To buy a book is, IMHO, usually a waster of time for learning, although fine for reference. but today, just Google search and you will have far better tutorials.

Sorry to be so stern, but what I am saying is very good advice!

Canon Book fore the 5DII: Have you read the manual? Your work shows you seem to know how to use it already and it is ideal for you.

Kind wishes,

Asher

Rachel Foster

Ah, I have CS4 but still struggle with layers. I have done it in the past but can't seem to recreate what I've done. There is so much to learn and I'm still "wandering in the desert," as it were.

The same with the 5dII. I've read the manual (more than once or twice) but there still seems a great deal to learn.

I'm stale. I'm also looking at art books and trying to sketch (abominably!), but I'm not making the jump from "that's kind of pretty" to "wow."

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ah, I have CS4 but still struggle with layers. I have done it in the past but can't seem to recreate what I've done. There is so much to learn and I'm still "wandering in the desert," as it were.

The same with the 5dII. I've read the manual (more than once or twice) but there still seems a great deal to learn.

I'm stale. I'm also looking at art books and trying to sketch (abominably!), but I'm not making the jump from "that's kind of pretty" to "wow."
Then the worst thing you can do is to read any book on Photoshop. Going dancing or a good movie will do far more good. In medicine, the best doctors use the smallest possible armory of drugs. They know them well and can use them skillfully. With PS 7, one has layers and masking. Online get all the tutorials just for issues you have. You don't want to copy anyone's tricks, just solutions to specific issues you have.

Have you ever thought of bringing home one of every package in a pharmacy? Of course not. So burn any PS book you find unless you want to be a teacher of PS tricks. I know. I have the books and they gather dust as I simply find a video that solves my current issue in 5 minutes.

Celebrate your family, make a great pot lick dinner with friends, jump from an airoplane or seduce your local preacher, but don't get into a PS book!

Asher

Rachel Foster

smalljump.jpg

Rachel Foster

Naw, that guy showed up at a Halloween party dressed as a nun. Not him!

And...my jumpsuit was filled with air. I want to point that out!

Clayton Lofgren

Asher's cure will work, but when the euforia of the jump and the preacher wear off, you will need to repeat or try something/someone else.
I have spent most of the last two weeks on macros and hummingbirds. I remember my first try with hummingbirds, in 1974 with a brand new OM1 and kit lens. I was happy with the results after half a dozen shots.
Now I spend days and reject hundreds of shots, and am still not completely happy with the results. I don't have any of the old prints, but I am sure that I am deleting shots now that are much better than anything I did with the OM.
My point is that our standards have been raised to the point that we are very hard to please. We have spectacular equipment and software, but we are comparing our work to that of some of the world's best, and I think we need to keep that in mind.

fahim mohammed

Rachel, though I am with Asher on this one, maybe you could browse this one at the library:

' the art of photoshop ' by daniel giordan.

I do not know much about canon, but you could try the different metering modes to see how lighting
and exposure is affected. I personally do not think you need any books on Canon or other cameras!

Good luck, and let us know how you like my recommendation.

Rachel Foster

Unfortunately, I have to drive some distance to get to art galleries. Ann Arbor is a two hour drive, and Chicago is five. I've been looking at books, though.

Alain Briot

pro member
Rachel,

It may be some distance but it is worth the trip., however long because there are no equivalent to seeing a Fine Art Print. Everything else is a reproduction! While some are better than others, reproductions cannot do justice to the original. This is why originals have to be seen in person.

A trip to the museum, or to any place where you can see original works of art, and in the case of photography original fine art prints, is indispensable to remind you of what original prints look like.

The other option, which in fact is more of a complement than an alternative, is to collect works of art and fine art prints. Looking at them both refreshes the soul and illuminate our inspiration.

Alain