• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: The Colburn Conservatory Orchestra Debut 2009-2010 Season: A photo Essay

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Saturday, September 26th, after dark, over 900 music lovers gathered at Barnhum Hall in Santa Monica, California to hear The Colburn Orchestra, conducted by Yehuda Gilad with Ronald Leonard, Cello as an extra draw. Colburn Conservatory is newest division of The Colburn School and in only 7 years, it has established a reputation for the finest performance in music. So the expectations were high.

The insiders know some of the conservatory students as they won competitions in their home countries and some internationally too and made their way to the street of Grand Culture, Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles. This street is the setting for 3 Architectural wonders facing in the distance the Grand Los Angeles city Hall and the Old LA times buildings. Everyone knows the iconic Frank Gehry architecture of the Walt Disney Concert Hall adjacent to the Music Center. Well kitty-corner to the WDCH, is the campus of The Colburn School. The next door Neighbor is the Museum of Contemporary Art! I have photographed the area extensively in this area as have others. The Walt Disney Concert Hall, here and the Colburn School hereThe Original Colburn School building on Grand Avenue is rather conservative representing Richard Colburn, (the benefactor and founder's) wish for it to be quiet and unassuming. Inside, however, is nothing short of spectacular. It houses an accoustical masterpiece, The Zipper Hall, and many other performance spaces, classrooms and all the amenities of a school that serves 115 college level conservatory students, the orchestra, the Trudl Zipper School of Dance and the School of Performing Arts, accounting for another 1600 students from toddler to adult!

My job is to photograph all this artistry and how it's nurtured, protected and polished. It's a challenge that pays off with thrilling music, dance, drama, ballet, jazz and other performance. It's a privilege to be able to contribute towards this amazing teaching program by creating photographs.

Orchestras each have their characteristic leading first positions in each section and then the other members. The musicians often have other outlets for playing and teaching but at Colburn the make up is unique. Each student has competed against the best of the best of their peers from all over the world. The fees are very high as the ratio of faculty and staff to students is 2:1 or more! However, all students are guaranteed entry and full support irrespective of economic standing. There are only 2 barriers to entry: that position in the orchestra is already filled or else other musicians show much more skill and potential. There's not a lot of publicity around the conservatory orchestra performances. The seats are free! The Orchestra performs on the West Side of LA, in Santa Monica as part of an outreach to the wider community. This allows students and folk who don't get ot go to WDCH to hear the LA Philharmonic, to get at least the same standard of performance, but right near their homes.

I can tell you that photographing classical music is a huge challenge. Ideally one would have a silent, supersensitive stealthy, high resolution black ninja camera. It doesn't exist!

Ideally, my imaginary "Canon G13s" would sport a the Canon 5DII sensor at 21MP, work at 4000-6400 ISO even lights just from above and be absolutely silent. Luckily I have the 5DII and my two favorite lenses, the 50 1.2L and the 70-200 2.8 L IS. A wonderful combo but not a silent ninja warrior! Forget flash! It's disturbing and anyway, the time taken for the 580 EX camera flash to warm up to red is too long.

Before the leader of the orchestra comes on stage to get the note from the oboist for tuning the orchestra, the musicians are doing last minute practicing, putting alternate instruments in place, the percussionists have a lot to set up. Some are doing last second practice of parts they know so well, but want to assure their hands are ready for this major event of their young lives. So, here I come, vaulting surreptitiously on the stage, hunting for pictures. To do this, without precipitating impatience, nervousness and anguish requires moving like a silent shadow. So I try my best,, occasionally catching a musicians eye, but knowing I must move between the closely packed chairs and music stands without interfering or knocking anyone over. There's no time for anything but a fast, compose, snap and hardly stop anywhere and then after maybe 60 seconds get back off the stage and silently find my seat, which someone has grabbed!

I'll come back here shortly to add pics of the musicians getting ready! Meanwhile, Ill post the one's I have at hand. You are welcome to comment!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Last minutes before performance starts!

Everyone checks and rechecks: strings tuned, music, stand, suck reeds for oboes and bassoons and a few go over some part of the music just to warm up.

_MG_7279_400.jpg

Asher Kelman: Percussionist Sean Case warms up on the Glockenspiel
5DII ISO 4000, Tungsten above, 1/160, f2.0, 50 1.2L

_MG_7260_400.jpg

Asher Kelman: Harpists Kayla Torrez Chang (left) and Charissa Barger (right).
Later they provided the spirited glissandi and mandolin-like trills during Ravel's Alborado Del Gracioso
5DII ISO 2500, 580 EXII, 1/160, f1.8, 50 1.2L

_MG_7265_400.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled

_MG_7262_400.jpg

Asher Kelman: Flautist

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

The Oboe!

One set of hands and an oboe stand out. I pause, This is the instrument to which the First violin will tune and so everyone else. Each instrument has a unique voice. The oboe distinguishes itself with so many allocations of solos in classical music,. Doing so, its importance and range of voice seems set this instrument as a fulcrum about which many other instruments move. It can sing sweetly and be haunting. Nothing can replace it. Oboe players, BTW, have a unique make up and disposition to be able to tolerate with the making of reeds. It's a fussy procedure, requiring shaping the reed and winding fine cord round it at the correct tension.

intro_reed.gif

George Yefchak. An Example of an Oboe Reed "fair use"

"The behavior of the oboe reed is the primary factor in the oboe's quality of sound (pitch, tone quality, etc). The relative ease (or, more often, difficulty) which which it can produce a given note, at a given volume level, etc., is determined primarily by the reed as well. Each oboist develops his/her own particular style or reed design. Since each player's embouchure and instrument is different, reeds made by one player are often not very playable by anyone else." Read George's entire article with photos of the reed making process, here.

Without the oboists reed, no vibrations for the wood to modulate would exist and the oboe is just a highly decorated polished piece of wood with silver/brass fittings! I take two shots, one with the student, Jennifer Johnston and then I realized that she had donated her hands to the instrument and they were now one. So this was the picture I must take.

_MG_7425_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: The oboe in Art Jennifer Johnson's Hands
5DII ISO 4000 Tungsten above, 1/250, f4.0 70-200 2.8L at 160mm

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Preparation and stealth in shooting an entire orchestra...oh yes, and pixels!

For most of the time, one cannot shoot with an SLR or a DSLR, even in loud passages. The click of the shutter can be heard so easily in a good hall. So I moved near the doorway, leaned on a wall for support and waited for the small gaps between parts when the orchestra pauses for a minute perhaps. The key is to have preframed the shot and then if one knows the piece, one can take risk one shutter release as the piece ends if one shoots, from the corridor leading to the exit or at the back of the balcony. One shot!

_MG_7329_1200.jpg

Asher Kelman: Colburn Yehuda Gilad, Conducting, Conservatory Playing Symphonic Metamorphosis of Themes by Paul Hindermith
Canon 5DII, 50 1.2L at f4.0, 1/160 sec, ISO 4,000, overhead tungsten light, jpg, min processing in CS2

I hope you like this snap. It shows why pixels might be useful. 21 MP is very useful indeed. Few cameras could do better. I'll use a monopod next time, perhaps. The height above the orchestra uniquely allows us to view the individual players behind the front row. If one looks carefully, almost all the musicians are playing at this one stolen moment! Afterwards, I checked with Richard Bean, the head of the conservatory, (bassoonist himself and lead faculty for woodwind), he hadn't heard my shutter, not a thing! So I aced it!

Asher

Yes, I'll work on the faces in the shadows in the back. Just want it get it online! The prints will be made from the RAW file, of course.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

_MG_7380_800_sRGB_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ronald Leonard, Cellist, left with Yehada Gilad conducter, Colburn Conservatory Orchestra, September 26th 2009, Santa Monica
Ron is accepting standing ovation for his performance of Concerto in B minor for Violincello and Orchestra, Antonín Leopold Dvořák, (1841-1904)

Canon 5DII, 70-200 2.8L IS at f4.0, 1/250 sec, 70mm, ISO 4,000, overhead tungsten light

_MG_7398_800_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: "Colburn Cello Section adding their own ovation for Leonard's Dvořák!"
The Colburn Conservatory Orchestra, September 26th 2009, Santa Monica

Canon 5DII, 70-200 2.8L IS at f4.0, 1/250 sec, 105mm, ISO 4,000, overhead tungsten light,

Last edited:

Rich Beaubien

Nice set of shots Asher and a good story to go along with them.

The orchestra photo is impressive. I love the angle, high and stage right.

Looks like you got bagged by the (1st?) violinist in the Ronald Leonard shot. ;-D Nice low angle so the principles clear the clutter. And just enough DOF so you can see the context.

Love the last one with all the cello bodies and the smiling face.

--Rich

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Asher

What a challenging and I would imagine very enjoyable project you've tackled with great aplomb!

The 5DII has performed so well at ISO 4000, I agree, as far as I know there would be few cameras that could perform as well as this in the prevailing conditions.

Out of these three I prefer Nos 1 & 3, lovely warm colours maintained in the wood of the stringed instruments and in the background - I look forward to seeing more.....

Mike Shimwell

Asher

How lovely to see some of your pictures. I too like the cellists and the orchestra shot. I'm also a sucker for the rich warm wood tones and dark background with just a little detail showing.

It all looks very impressive given the light and need to be quiet.

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

This is just a placeholder to let you know that I am very impressed and I will come back to comment adequately (right now I am in a hurry). I know how much effort you have put into your work at the Colburn Conservatory. You have been thinking, analyzing, scheming, devising, executing, fine-tuning, repeating it all over again, until you can walk away with nothing less than perfect pictures. Extremely well done my friend!

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Thanks Janet, Rich, Mike and Cem,

I really value all your kind comments. If you are in Los Angeles don't miss a visit. You should tour Colburn, enjoy it's architecture, taken in a performance and visit the Haifetz Studio there. Following his death in 1987, Jascha Heifetz' (1901-87)* studio was disassembled from the garden of his home in Beverly Hills.

heij006.jpg

© Estate of Jascha Heifetz Haifetz

"You know," Heifetz said, "child prodigism - if I may coin a word - is a disease which is generally fatal. I was among the few to have the good fortune to survive. But I had the advantage of a great teacher in Professor Auer and a family that instinctively had a high regard for music, very good taste and a horror of mediocrity."

The Haifetz studio is now now rebuilt on the second floor of the Colburn School Grand Avenue building. Robert Lipsett, the renowned violinist and distinguished head of the violin faculty at Colburn is the proud occupant of the studio. Through him, the Haifetz tradition of teaching violin at the highest level lives on. I asked him recently about the challenge of disciplining the music of students while not banishing the natural magic they bring with them. In summary Lipsett expounded his strategy of nurturing the individual character of the young musician while perfecting technique, and developing musical prowess. A violinist from his studio shows the fruits of his labor. I'll present some of these wonderful musicians later in a new thread.

Glad to share with you insights to this special and rare world of great teachers and fine rich performance.

Asher

*"For 83 of his 86 years, Jascha Heifetz (1901-87) played the violin, and for over 60 of them in front of audiences the length and breadth of the world. Since his first public concert in St. Petersburg on April 30, 1911, he exposed his art to the world through more than 2,000,000 miles of travel (much of it in front of World War II troops), a prodigious recording program, countless appearances on radio, in several films, an hour-long television special and, for a dozen years, a vigorous teaching schedule." More http://www.jaschaheifetz.com/about/bio.htmlhere.

Last edited:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I knew it

Asher,

When we were discussing lighting for your assignment with the Colburn School, I knew that you would have it exactly right. You put your heart and soul into this work. It's beautiful. You need a standing ovation. Bravo, my friend (and Happy New Year)

Asher Kelman

Extra Pictures added post # 2&3 above!

I've added more pictures above.

Asher,

When we were discussing lighting for your assignment with the Colburn School, I knew that you would have it exactly right. You put your heart and soul into this work. It's beautiful. You need a standing ovation. Bravo, my friend (and Happy New Year)

Thanks Kathy,

Well, I'm so glad you visited. You must come to the performances. You owe it to yourself. Go to the link here to get the Orchestra concert schedule and when you come we'll give you a tour too! Here's a useful PDF of the official public performances. If you, or anyone else from the L.A. area, PMs me your address I'll get you an individual printed 2009/2010 calendar. Inside it there's the printed pull out pocket version of the calendar. The larger calendar is well printed and handsome. It showcases much of the school. It has, BTW, some photography that you would enjoy. It list many recitals in addition to the Orchestra performances.

Asher

As you were writing, I've added posts #2 & 3, with shots of the students minutes before the concert started. One of my privileges, here, at least, to mess with history in a nice way!

Cem_Usakligil

....Without the oboists reed, no vibrations for the wood to modulate would exist and the oboe is just a highly decorated polished piece of wood with silver/brass fittings! I take two shots, one with the student, Jennifer Johnston and then I realized that she had donated her hands to the instrument and they were now one. So this was the picture I must take.

_MG_7425_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: The oboe in Art Jennifer Johnson's Hands
5DII ISO 4000 Tungsten above, 1/250, f4.0 70-200 2.8L at 160mm

Asher,

This picture is a real gem, excellent! PS: I think that it might look great in B&W as well.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi my friend Asher
I'm back now and can see your pictures on another screen than the Iphone's!
Very nice work done in difficult conditions…
Some questions rising to me:
On my home laptop, all pics seems reddish, specially in the shadows… is it my monitor (this one not calibrated…)? or the ACR rendering which I always found having reddish shadows?
I also would be curious to see some crops at 100%, using ISO 4 000 is so amazing,I'd love to have that on my 1Ds3!
I noticed also the (relatively) high shutter speed, in such conditions I may have tried lower ISO and speed or lower speed and higher ƒstop (for larger dof)…

Will you have a chance to shoot within the stage during a training session?

Just some questions… so happy that you post your own work! a (too) rare privilege for all of us ;-)

Asher Kelman

New Thread Started in "Still Photo" on low light music photography technical issues.

Hi my friend Asher
I'm back now and can see your pictures on another screen than the Iphone's!
Very nice work done in difficult conditions…
Thanks so much! I value, as always, your interest and feedback!

You raise a lot of important issues one faces shooting performers set up on a stage, unevenly lit from above, (as seems to be traditional in many prestigious orchestra locations). So we now have a new thread devoted to addressing technical challenges. I'm sure that different photographers can add their own experience to this discussion, here.

I'll post more. :)

Asher