• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Cheapside...

Paul Abbott

I would really like some constructive critique on this image. Personally, I am happy with this image, the elements have all been carefully composed but I would really like to see if anyone else connects with the image in the same way as I do.

It would be real nice to hear of other people's interpretation of this image before I give my own reason and interpretation in/ of photographing this scene. Many thanks in advance.

beynardhouseBW1of1clonedbordered.jpg

Paul Abbott Baynard House - Cheapside, London

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
the elements have all been carefully composed but I would really like to see if anyone else connects with the image in the same way as I do.
beynardhouseBW1of1clonedbordered.jpg

Paul Abbott Baynard House - Cheapside, London

Paul,

This construction reminds me of Bauhaus use of whatever efficient materials to make buildings available at a more approachable cost. Poured concrete, simple windows, metal fences. What is the function of the building? Everything diverges from where the concrete platform level on the right reaches the building. I see power in that. However, that's likely how it looks. Might you consider going from there and allocating degrees of importance to different sections or features, or do you believe one shouldn't do that?

Asher

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thanks for the reply, Asher.
This building is still being used as social housing, and the architectural style used is Brutalism, (beton brut). No bricks, just poured concrete blocks with a rough texture.

Do you see any analogy with the basketball post and the ramps and rails in the scene?

Mike Shimwell

Hi Paul

I've looked at this a couple of times and had picked up the basketball net, but not the strucure of the support rails and ramps. Being from the UK I understand the background and use of this type of development, though in many ways it is perhaps a fairly universal architectural language? I'll ask my architect friend.

The picture itself, not for my walls, but as part of a set it would have a place perhaps.

Mike

Asher Kelman

Fictive or Factive Photography! What you "see"versus all that's there!

Thanks for the reply, Asher.
This building is still being used as social housing, and the architectural style used is Brutalism, (beton brut). No bricks, just poured concrete blocks with a rough texture.

Do you see any analogy with the basketball post and the ramps and rails in the scene?

Yes. Paul, I noticed the angular diversion from one point at the basket ball stand. That recapitulates the divergent structures in the concrete and poles. The question I have is are you open to considering post processing shading, blurring, sharpening, tone nuancing to bring out the patterns you value most. As is there's no Escher shading to guide the eye. The overall look is faithful to the truth as the light came to the camera evenly and was recorded as such.

To me, a major option the photographer has, and the some of the most eminent B&W photographers used is laborious redistricting of every component according to the image the imagination can see within the flat unbiased recording of the scene. There are, however, those I call respectively, "factive" photographers, where utter respect is given to every detail that anyone else from that position could have observed at that one time. I personally don't ascribe to that, except for journalism, science, forensic work and documentaries. Still I respect those artistic photographers who wish to make all the choices possible beforehand and limit post production to the type of development and choice of paper.

Still, Paul, this particular image might benefit from your intervention to being out the features that are most significant.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher, I do like to pay attention to the tones in a B&W photograph and adjust them to try and get a full range, I 'dodge and burn' too. Other than that I try to keep processing to a minimum, just whats needed. I always shoot RAW images, so they do need a small amount of sharpening, also.
I like split-toning too, when the image warrants it.

I'm not a photographer who likes to 'clone' things out and literally change backgrounds and skies etc. I hate all that, thats not what photography is about, in my view.

I am happy you saw the analogy, for me this lies at the heart of this photograph.

Asher Kelman

Asher, I do like to pay attention to the tones in a B&W photograph and adjust them to try and get a full range, I 'dodge and burn' too. Other than that I try to keep processing to a minimum, just whats needed. I always shoot RAW images, so they do need a small amount of sharpening, also.
I like split-toning too, when the image warrants it.

I'm not a photographer who likes to 'clone' things out and literally change backgrounds and skies etc. I hate all that, thats not what photography is about, in my view.

I am happy you saw the analogy, for me this lies at the heart of this photograph.
Hi Paul,

Not to change backgrounds, but I think you picture is ripe for zoning according to how important you feel things are. Instead of dodging and burning, consider making a separate new layer for every part of the image you might want to give it's own edge to, fade or decrease in emphasis. Then just make that layer into a mask and paint black everything except the component for that layer you have isolated in your mind. Then one can add an adjustment layer for every masked layer and make each of your component pieces show exactly as you would imagine if you wanted to paint them realistically.

This way, one can go back and make any mask more or less translucent by painting with black or white or grey.

I would reckon that in the darkroom, my late father in law would work for 2 weeks on your picture and one would have to threaten to burn his boat to get him out!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Paul
when I first saw your image, off course - like others - I was aware of the basketball net, the strucure of ramp and building.

But it hasn't that much the appeal of Brutalism, the foreground isn't indicating that style, as many of these ramp and bridges are buildt in concrete, apart from architecture style's. Therefore, to me the impact of the ramp is misleading, if trying to follow your intention.

I agree more for the house in the background, but then that is - out of that position not a clear Brutalism, due to the lack of sculptural moments and on the photo hdden in the shadow. How about your intention and image, if the building would draw different, due to another sun position?

Paul Abbott

Michael thanks, I just mentioned the style of building in response to Asher's post about 'bauhaus'.
I am not at all documenting the style of architecture with this photograph, I was only interested in the analogy that was on offer in the scene, as stated above.

Cheers, Michael.